• October 31A Salem Story

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• September 12Senior Super Saturday for Senior Portraits is October 13th. That's for you...Seniors! Click on the flyer just below

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

The Struggles of Applying to Colleges

When you’re a high school junior, your teachers, parents, and your gut tells you it’s time to start looking at colleges.  The feeling is also there, that if you are just getting started, you’re actually running late, because everybody else is already at it.  Maybe you may feel like you have time and nothing to worry about since it seems like graduation is far away. But deep down you know that’s not true, because, time flies faster than you think.

I’m a senior now, in fact it just turned February 1st. We’ve had our winter senior meeting, we’ve been measured for our caps & gowns, we’ve submitted our senior quotes, the list of things to do is getting shorter and shorter. I  should most likely know or have some idea on what my career would be. Shouldn’t I? I should be researching which colleges offer the best program, and what my future needs are.  This is where it all goes down hill.

Senior-itis is really folks!  It is real! ‘I’ll do it later’ may be my words to live by. I’m fluent in them. But guess what, it is later. The problem of being lazy needs to stop, today. As a student and a human being, I need to realize that I am in control of my life. Researching can be annoying, so I put it off. The questions that I need to answer are uncomfortable, so I put them off. But time continues to advance, maybe a little faster than it ever has. I have to get on it.

The FAFSA Roadshow will be at Westside next week. NEXT WEEK! FAFSA is important, I need to get it together, take the time and fill out my application. I can’t push it off to later. Like I said, it is later. The deadlines are creeping up., reality is biting me.

Applying to college isn’t hard. In fact our college room is open and accessable all the time. They are helpful, and not scary. They make it sound easy. They make me feel like I have time to get it all done. They are encouraging without being intimidating. Which is exactly what I need.

So college. Here it comes. I’ts February 1st. My senior year is almost over. And my future, whatever that turns out to be is almost here.

Jasmine Linares, Writer

Jasmine is a Senior at Westside High School. This is her fourth and final year on the newspaper staff. She is not just a Texans girl but she’s actually from California and moved to Houston a few years ago. She enjoys the art of classical piano solos. She has a passion, maybe a little bit of,  an obsession, for cats.