• March 27Seniors, prom tickets go on sale April 8!!!

• March 27Pride team tryouts the first week of April, see Ms. Emert for more information.

• March 27Cheerleading tryouts the first week of April! Go see Ms. George for more information.

• March 27Playoff soccer game at Spring Woods high school this Friday, March 29 at 7:30. Please go and support!!

• January 25Only 37 2019 Yearbooks left to sell. Order your book today at www.Balfour.com

Why Aunt Becky, Why?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why Aunt Becky, Why?

While Westside was out for the much anticipated and appreciated Spring Break, a major scandal erupted in America, it was covered across all news platforms, and media outlets. It also created a rare moment of unity between warring factions of opposing political parties.  The FBI released a report on a widespread investigation into college admission cheating, fraud, bribery and outright lying about qualifications for admission to Tier 1 colleges coast to coast.

Dubbed “Operation Varsity Blues”, the FBI laid out their case naming names. According to the report, Fuller House star and Hallmark movie regular, Lori Loughlin, paid $500,000 in bribes to a USC coach to claim her daughter, Olivia Jade Giannulli, was a talented recruit for University of Southern California,  crew team.  Despite never rowing in her life, Ms. Guannulli was admitted as a student to USC, with athletic credentials to crew for a Division 1 school.

A celebrity in her own right, Olivia Jade, is well known through her Instagram, and enjoys multiple endorsements as a “social media influencer”.  It’s well documented that Olivia Jade had no interest in school. A video of her stating that she was interested in “game days, and parties”, but didn’t care about school.

As Westside seniors are stressing about their college opportunities, news of these privileged and by all accounts unqualified students, taking spots in UTAustin, SMU, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Georgetown, Princton, just to name a few, hit hard.  The staff of Howler News, tackled all aspects of this scandal, giving student and teacher perspective.  Titled “Why Aunt Becky, why” , we hope you enjoy this series.

Sharon Roberts, Adviser

Sharon Roberts is in her 3rd year as the adviser of the Howler News.  She is also an adviser for the Westside Yearbook, and instructor for Journalism...