• March 27Seniors, prom tickets go on sale April 8!!!

• March 27Pride team tryouts the first week of April, see Ms. Emert for more information.

• March 27Cheerleading tryouts the first week of April! Go see Ms. George for more information.

• March 27Playoff soccer game at Spring Woods high school this Friday, March 29 at 7:30. Please go and support!!

• January 25Only 37 2019 Yearbooks left to sell. Order your book today at www.Balfour.com

Filed under Opinion, Why Aunt Becky

Growing up spoiled…how does this affect the children?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Westside student, Jala Hobbs, has no issues bragging about her wealth. Being able to pay for all that she wants, including college, has relieved her of lots of stress.

You grow up living in a mansion, with everything you have ever wanted to be handed right to you the moment you raise your finger even just half an inch. There are many kids now growing up being given all of the belongings, clothes, and materialistic items desired without any work, and some even further continue by getting into a top school even though, without their parents paying for it, they would have never had a chance of getting in. The effects of this seem to be drastically evident in the negativity present in many of these children’s’ future personalities, actions, and statements.

For children who get everything handed to them from the moment of birth, the idea that they must earn what they have is immediately corrupted. The idea that you must give to get never exists since all these kids do is “get.”

Olivia Jade, the daughter of Lori Loughlin who paid for her daughter’s acceptance into the University of Southern California, once said in a YouTube video, “I don’t really care about school, as you guys know.” With no need to do well in school since she has all of her family’s money to rely on, she has no care, no motivation, and no self-awareness. With statements like these and actions like the ones in many of her other videos, it becomes evident that she lives with no pressure of ever having to work or try, automatically altering her personality from birth.

Juliana Santacruz believes that dedication and hard work are the keys to success.

Juliana Santacruz, a student who attends Westside High School, says, “I cannot imagine growing up with everything handed to me. I work for almost everything I have, including my acceptance letters to the colleges I applied to. This dedication is what made me who I am, so kids born into the lifestyle of never having to work confuses me. They will never know dedication. They will never understand either what it means to pursue a passion or to have to put hours of work in because you know you have to. It’s kind of sad.”

All of the hard work that kids put into their education is what teaches them to be humble, to be kind, and to have a strong work ethic. Children raised with no sense of this will never have any of these qualities, instead, they are more prone to having narcissistic qualities and acting or speaking out in ways that most kids and teenagers never would. They may grow up with everything, but is the loss of a dedicated and humble personality really considered everything?

Gabriela Smith, Writer

Gabriela Smith is a senior at Westside High School who is now commencing in her first year on the Howler News staff. She is vice president of Beyond the...