• October 17Make sure to grab a Homecoming contract from the Welcome Desk! You can't go without a signed contract.

• October 17Wear your Astros gear tomorrow in support of our team!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• October 3Underclassmen, the PSAT is right around the corner. Oct. 24th so start studying now!

My first day of being 18!

Alexandria Tovar, Writer

On January 13th, I turned 18! After reading up on different things I could do now that I am. The website listed many things, but the one thing that stuck to me was that now I can get a tattoo or a piercing without my parents consent (don’t worry, I still asked them.) So finally the day came and I was ready to get my tattoo. I already had my design picked out and an appointment with the artist wanted. After waiting a long week, I finally got to get my tattoo on my birthday.

We had spent the morning at my house just hanging out and watching movies before our crazy day started. Around two in the afternoon, everyone in my family started to get ready to go get my tattoo and go have my dinner after. After my birthday had passed, it kind of had me thinking, what did other people do on their first day of being 18. Senior, Jose Iraheta told me, “I spent most of my birthday at school, but afterschool I had a lot of fun hanging out with friends and my family.” He also explained that he had gone to eat dinner later on that day and later that week some of his other friends had a party for him.

Turning 18 is like a right of passage, even though the suffix of the word is teen, you are still considered an adult. Being 18 gives you many freedoms that you wouldn’t have ever thought you would have. I never thought my parents would let me stay out past 12 A.M. or go get a tattoo. Now that I’m just a little older, I have more freedoms, which is crazy because I’m just a little bit older than last year. Now that I’m 18, I kind of appreciate things more than before, and that makes me thankful for the rules I had to follow before.

Alexandria Tovar, Author

Alexandria Tovar is in her Senior year at Westside High School. She’s in her second year of being on the staff of Howler News and likes to be involved in school and it takes a lot for you to put her in a bad mood. She is kind of shy with a touch of outgoing and a quote that she lives by is “Be a voice, not an echo” by Chris Makell.