• December 5December has officially started! Go check out Lights in the Heights, Santa's Wonderland, and many other holiday festivities!

• December 5Finals are just around the corner, so be sure to start studying as soon as possible!

• December 5The Winter Choir Concert will be taking place on December 11th in the Westside auditorium! You don't want to miss out!

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• September 12Yearbooks are still on sale! Click on the flyer just below.

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The struggle of the middle class

Back to Article
Back to Article

The struggle of the middle class

In today’s society there are many people that are in the middle class that are financially stable, but there are times when it can get hard to make ends meet. At a young age being a in the middle class doesn’t really seem to be a big deal. You have an average single family home, nice clothes and nice car, but in many ways it can serves a a disadvantage.

Think about this. What actually qualifies you to be middle class, rich or below the poverty line? With many teens today social class is defined by what car you or your parent drive, weather you live in a house or an apartment and even if you have nice clothes and shoes. Many student consider having a nice car as being “rich”.  I myself have been called rich or “boujee”, but I feel that any one can have nice things and achieve anything i they put in hard work. Which why I feel that being in the middle class is a struggle for many students who are applying to college.

With me being a senior, I didn’t really realize how being in the middle class would affect me in the long run. Now that I am applying for college, I learned that there are so many opportunities for student who are considered “economically disadvantage”. Student who’s family income is less that about 40,000 qualify for free/ reduced lunch, fee waivers for SAT and ACT and numerous financial aid options. Plus for some colleges student who have a lower family income have more opportunities to get full tuition paid, which in my opinion is great, but what about me and all the other people who are considered middle class?

By attending Westside you see people from all of the social classes. I am sure majority of them would like to attend college, but the big question is how am I gonna pay for college? There are ample scholarships and opportunities that allows to student to pay for college, but why does a student family income have to be considered? It’s like they are being penalized because there parent decided to attend college. Most colleges use FAFSA which is Free Application for Federal Student Aid to give  good idea of how much money they can provide to help pay for a students education. if your lucky enough you can get your tuition paid in full, but there student who can only get a couple thousand dollars.

With me being my mom first baby to attend college so my mom is learning the process of applying to college because it was very different from when she applied to college. My mom was seeking advice from a friend and she has 3 daughters in college. In the conversation she was talking about how being in the middle class can seem like a good thing, but it can cause some problems when it come to applying for college. The one thing that stuck with me from the conversation is when she said, “I feel like they are punishing my kids by not giving them enough financial aid because as mother my salary to high.” As mother with 3 daughter in college it is not financially possible to pay all of her children tuition.

Any student that want to attend college no matter there financial situation should have equal access and opportunity to any type of financial aid or scholarship. Students in the middle class should not be penalized because there family income is considered to be “above average”.  A student success or future in college should not be determined by how much there family makes. It should be determined by their academics, social life and achievements. Money is only object, but it will never solve all of our problems.

Euriah McQueen, Editor

Euriah McQueen is a 12th grader and this is her fourth year on the Howler New staff. Her freshman year she was in photojournalism where she took photos...