• March 27Seniors, prom tickets go on sale April 8!!!

• March 27Pride team tryouts the first week of April, see Ms. Emert for more information.

• March 27Cheerleading tryouts the first week of April! Go see Ms. George for more information.

• March 27Playoff soccer game at Spring Woods high school this Friday, March 29 at 7:30. Please go and support!!

• January 25Only 37 2019 Yearbooks left to sell. Order your book today at www.Balfour.com

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Westside National Champions!

Do you have what it takes to fill a spot on a National Champion team?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Westside National Champions!

The dedication, time and energy of the Westside Cheerleaders was on full display this past weekend, when they hit the road for their much anticipated first competition of the year. Hosted by Cheer America, the iNationals National Cheerleading Competition was held at the Galveston Convention Center, on March 25, 2018.  There were 100’s of stunts, back tucks, and go team go’s on display from all ages. And coming in first in their division, our very own Westside Cheer!

Practicing since January, the team committed to lots of time and hard work to create their award winning routine. When asked about the team schedule Erin Staskus had this to say, “We’ve had practice almost every day for the past month after school, keeping me very busy!” Being on a competition team takes up hours of after school time and call for lots of dedication. But that’s what it takes to be the best, and to beat the best.

Competition day was a tense affair. Westside Cheer was scheduled last, which meant seeing all their competitors go before them. So when they hit the floor, they knew what they had to do.  All the training and teamwork kicked in and they rocked their routine for the judges.  A slight bobble on one of their stunts, didn’t hurt their overall score from the judges. And they came away with the championship.

I got so nervous before going on stage, but knowing that I’m performing with my best friends made the nerves go away,” Erin said.  The awrds ceremony came next, and Westside Cheer walked away with the National Championship Title. They were awarded a banner, and each team member received a national Champion Jacket to wear proudly around school.  After the long day and all the excitement, the team took a fun break to Starbucks, before they headed home. “It was a fun weekend and I’m so proud of my teammates. Today really brought us closer together as one and it’s something that I’ll never forget,” said Emily Butos.

What a great way for this dedicated team to end the season. What’s next? Prepping  for tryouts next which start April 2nd with training, with the final judging panel on April 6th. Tryout packets are available in the Main Office or online at www.WestsideWolves.org , login and follow the link.  You must have a completed packet to tryout, this included teacher recommendations, so don’t delay.

Do you have what it takes to fill a spot on a National Champion team?  Well then, tryout, and join the tradition.

Lili Sullivan, Editor

Lili Sullivan is a senior and this is her second year on Newspaper! She is also a four-year member of the school cheerleading team and is involved in WEGA....