• September 12Looking for a good book to read? So are we, send us your suggestions on the Howler News twitter @WHSHowlernews

• September 12The Astros are still the best. and the Texans are still terrible.

• September 12Senior Super Saturday for Senior Portraits is October 13th. That's for you...Seniors! Click on the flyer just below

Filed under News

2018-2019 School Year

Its official that HISD will be making some of the biggest change they have seen in about 20 years. Many students know about the new school time changes and the new magnet program regulation, but what does the future of Westside look like?

All high schools and middle schools will be subject to the new district wide time changes. At Westside, instead of school starting at 7:55 and ending at 3:15, school will begin at 8:30 and end at 3:50. A lot of Westside students are worried because if school gets out later then the practice times will get pushed back and student who have jobs will have issue making it to work on times. “I work at wing stop on the other side of town and I have to be at work by 4:30 and it wont be possible to get to work on time” says Lesley Montano (11).

Due to the budget cuts many staff positions at Westside have to be dropped. 30-45 staffing positions will be cut. There has been much talk among teachers about which positions will be dropped and how we should go about saving money at the school. One scenarios only having the schools cleaned about about 2-3 time a week. Little do they know the restrooms here at Westside are not the finest. Some of the sinks don’t work and the doors do not close properly. Plus by having outside vendors come and sell to the school, many student make messes and don’t clean up after themselves.

Many students at Westside are also worried about the new magnet changes that will occur in the next couple of month. The proposed plan that HISD has come up with splits the district into 4 quadrants and they plan to implement all magnet endorsements in all school. Plus students who choose to go attend a school out side of their quadrant must provide transpiration to and from school. Freshman Kaitlyn McElroy says, “I just started going to Westside and of they is no bus to take me to and from school I am not sure if I’ll be able to attend Westside due to these changes.”

Overall, what does next years school year here at Westside look like? Will the student population decreases? Will many teachers and staff be out of a job? Will HISD new plan work for all school? As for all students and families always be flexible for change.