• October 11Softball COLOR RUN! is October 21st, in the AM. Register today

• October 11Underclass Picture Days will be October 16 - 17. for all 9-11 students

Filed under Showcase, Sports

The End of an Era- Coach Brown

Coach Brown, on the pitch.

Coach Brown, on the pitch.

Javier Parra

Javier Parra

Coach Brown, on the pitch.

Coach Sakis Brown is stepping away from coaching after 24 years in Houston ISD. Coach brown started his coaching career at Stevenson Middle school in 1994 and transferred to Westside High school in 2000. Coach Brown served the men’s head soccer coach for 15 years at Westside High school before becoming the women’s head soccer coach for the last 3 years. Coach Brown has won 9 District Championships,9 Bi- District Championships; 4 Area Championships; 2 Quarter Final Championships; 2 Region Semi- Final Championship; and 2 Region Final Appearances. Coach Brown has an overall record of 304 wins; 84 losses;24 ties-74..25% winning average.

Under Coach Brown’s leadership, 174 student-athletes have been selected to the All- District teams, 26 student-athletes have received Superlative Awards, 14 have received All -State Selections; and 22 have received All-region Selections.

Coach Brown has been named District Coach of the Year 8 times. Region III Coach of the year twice, and Coca-Cola Coach of the year 4 times. He has also been selected to coach the All- Star Senior Showcase game and is currently the winningest 6-A soccer coach in the history of Houston ISD. As an educator, Coach brown has also received the following teaching- based awards: School Campus Teacher of the year, Houston Mayor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching,Principals Award, and has been included to Stevenson Middle School’s Teacher Hall of Fame.

As i am looking back at my coaching career, i cannot believe how fast the last 24 years have gone by. Over the years i have had the pleasure to coach and guide many special students- athletes. is is because of my hard working students athletes that i have been achieved so many recognition’s  during the course of my coaching career. To my former, as well as my current student- athletes, i want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your commitment, sacrifices, trust and hard work. I know for a fact that not every day was a good day during the course of your participation in our soccer program but i also know that we have great memories and experiences to last us a lifetime. Many of you are truly making a difference in our world today. I am very proud to have been your coach. I recently received the news that i will be getting inducted to the Houston Coaches Association Hall of Fame. I want you to know in advance that i am dedicating this great award for you.

Javier Parra
Coach Brown, with his team during one of his final games.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The End of an Era- Coach Brown”

1. Mariano Escoto on May 10th, 2017 7:43 pm

The most influential coach in my carrer. I still remember when he told me , it does not matter where you start is where you end.

[Reply]

2. Marco A. Dosal on May 11th, 2017 9:42 pm

Soccer field on Westside should be named Brown Field.

[Reply]

3. Brian Gillespie on May 12th, 2017 11:57 am

My Great friend and Coach when I first met you I wanted to hate you for the. Eating you put on our team. I began to study your coaching style and it started to rub off on me. You were a mentor to all of us in HISD. We will truly miss that special style of coaching. No matter what you were alway abou the kids and about winning and winning you did. Thanks for leaving us with a legacy love you bro

[Reply]

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

The Pen

WIN OR LOSE

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

The Pen

Westside’s Orchestra

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

My pets and Harvey

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

Harvey arises question of climate change

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

Arts & Entertainment

Dancing their way into Westside

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

Hurricane Harvey

Hurricane Harvey hits Houston

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

Student Life

Changes to the Westside Wear

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

Young Hustler on Campus

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

Hurricane Harvey

How a CAT 4 impacted a city

• The End of an Era- Coach Brown

Is the internet a basic human right?

The End of an Era- Coach Brown