• September 12Looking for a good book to read? So are we, send us your suggestions on the Howler News twitter @WHSHowlernews

• September 12The Astros are still the best. and the Texans are still terrible.

• September 12Senior Super Saturday for Senior Portraits is October 13th. That's for you...Seniors! Click on the flyer just below

Filed under News, Showcase

Sexual Harassment: It Could Happen to Anyone

A first job should be a light, easy-going experience. Something for teenagers to gain a better understanding of how the workplace functions as well as how to budget and follow orders. However, there is an epidemic known as sexual harassment spreading among workplaces all over the country. Sexual harassment at the workplace can be a traumatizing event that leaves some teenagers feeling disheartened and may feel as though of any positivity they might have felt towards that workplace is taken away. However, if you are experiencing any type of sexual harassment in the workplace, you are not alone.

A 19-year-old girl recently filed a lawsuit against the Chipotle on Eldridge Parkway in the Energy Corridor. This girl, who decided to remain anonymous, worked for Chipotle for four months beginning in October 2013. She was repeatedly sexually assaulted by her two managers, who continued to force themselves upon her for over four months.

“It’s almost like a brothel that just served food. That’s the best way to characterize this restaurant.” Said the 19-year-old’s attorney, Ben Hall, in a statement to KPRC 2.

The teen decided to file a lawsuit three years after the occurrence took place. It turns out the two managers involved had already fled to Mexico, however there are still searches going on to find them. The girl decided to sue Chipotle regardless and ended up gaining $7.65 million from winning the lawsuit.

“They wanted to make sure the little 16-year-old was taken care of for the rest of her life.” Said Ben Hall, in another statement to KPRC 2, in regards to the jury’s decision towards the lawsuit.

There are several  instances of sexual assault to teens similar to this one all over the country. While some teens decide to speak out about their situation, others decide to remain in the shadows; therefore it is important to be very wary of teens’ safety in the workplace. Sexual harassment is an extremely serious matter that does not discriminate. It does not matter what age, gender, race, or sexuality you are or if you work in the busiest restaurant or the quietest book shop. It could happen to anyone.