• December 5December has officially started! Go check out Lights in the Heights, Santa's Wonderland, and many other holiday festivities!

• December 5Finals are just around the corner, so be sure to start studying as soon as possible!

• December 5The Winter Choir Concert will be taking place on December 11th in the Westside auditorium! You don't want to miss out!

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• September 12Yearbooks are still on sale! Click on the flyer just below.

Filed under News, Showcase

Athlete tutorials

About 500 students here at Westside can be found in the auditorium during lunch on Wednesdays. Starting last week, failing athletes are now required to go to “study lab” for the first half of Lunch every Wednesday. Initiated by a couple of coaches who spoke to Ms. Stewart, the purpose is for the coaches to be able to monitor the academic successes of the students. According to Westside administration, the mandatory tutorials are to make sure that students follow that pass and play rule, remaining in UIL compliance while making sure that they are also successful in the classroom. Even though this is meant to help athletes, and allow them to perform, many students and teachers are angered and confused by the new circumstances.

Entering the auditorium,  student-athletes all find themselves in the same situation, missing lunch due to a failing grade. However, not all the situations are the same. Yes, there are students who are actually failing from bad grades on tests, but sometimes teachers will put in a space-holder grade if a student is absent on a particular day. Students are accountable for their grades, but they are punished when teachers put in zeros for their weekly grades, just to have a grade in gradespeed.  That’s what is referred to as a space-holder grade. It is mandatory for teachers to weekly update grades and be in compliance, but when they have over 100 different tests to grade within a certain time, it becomes difficult. It can be difficult for the athletes to know when their teachers are going to be putting grades in for them, they can find themselves in the lunch tutorial due to lack of communication.

Stay tuned for part 2 where athletes express their own opinion on how they feel

About the Contributors
Lili Sullivan, Editor

Lili Sullivan is a senior and this is her second year on Newspaper! She is also a four-year member of the school cheerleading team and is involved in WEGA....

Sharon Roberts, Adviser

Sharon Roberts is in her 3rd year as the adviser of the Howler News.  She is also an adviser for the Westside Yearbook, and instructor for Journalism...