• October 17Make sure to grab a Homecoming contract from the Welcome Desk! You can't go without a signed contract.

• October 17Wear your Astros gear tomorrow in support of our team!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• October 3Underclassmen, the PSAT is right around the corner. Oct. 24th so start studying now!

Filed under Sports

Chicken Wing Wrestling Tournament

Westside High School’s wrestling team brought success on Saturday, January 13th. The tournament invited parents, friends, and family for an interesting competition. The wrestlers put their best foot forward and ended up with many wins for the Westside wolves. Wrestling may be a tough sport which requires balance, stability, and caution, but each wrestler knows their limits and strengths. I caught up with some of the winners from the tournament to see how they prepare and feel about their experiences as a wrestler.

On the Saturday of the tournament, the wrestlers come in an hour before dawn to weigh in. Weighing in is critical for the wrestlers, because it determines if they’re going to be in the correct weight class. After this, their captains will give a pep talk to motivate and fuel up the wrestlers. During the waiting period before the tournament is about to begin, they walk around to get their mindset ready right before their matches and listen to their favorite music. The tournament ran from 6-4 , and in that time, Franklin Fitzgerald had 4 wins, Daniel Hernandez 3 wins, Takaya Matsuki 1 win, Teddy Andrade 3 wins, and Rendy 3 wins. “It’s a blessing when I put all my effort into my match and I end up with a win. All the training is worth it in the end” – Teddy Andrade, Junior.

The wrestling tournaments are never freebies or throwaways for the wrestlers. It requires time and effort, especially the preparation the day of the competition. Wrestling occurs with a furious pace and involves all muscles of the body, so each individual wrestler, along with the training of their coach, knows the magnitude of the sport. Between wrestling season, this isn’t considered a period of resting for the participants. That’s their chance to improve, redeem, and take care of themselves. Dedication is everything to a wrestler when they desire to win their matches, especially at a big event like a tournament.

About the Contributors
Brenda Almanza, Author

This is Brenda Almanza, she’s a Junior at Westside High School and this is her first year as an writer for Howler News. She dances for Westside’s Inertia Dance Company, and is also involved in NHS and NSHSS. Her biggest dream is to become a veterinarian after she graduates.

Sharon Roberts, Adviser

Sharon Roberts is in her 3rd year as the adviser of the Howler News.  She is also an adviser for the Westside Yearbook, and instructor for Journalism 1, Contemporary Media, and Broadcast Journalism.

Ms. Rob enjoys tennis, specifically tennis  player Rafael Nadal, #VamosRafa, and  is a life long, devoted fan of the 2017 World Series Champion Houston Astros.  Photography and writing are passions.  She is also rescues and fosters abandoned cats and kittens.