• October 31A Salem Story

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• September 12Senior Super Saturday for Senior Portraits is October 13th. That's for you...Seniors! Click on the flyer just below

Filed under News, Showcase

2018-2019 School Hours

In mid-December of 2017 the Houston Independent School District announced the new time change for the 2018-2019 school year. The time change was a result of a survey the school district released, which allowed parents and teachers to vote on their preferred start times for the following school year. Since this large school district managed over 67 different start time they decided to only manage 2 start times according to grade level. Elementary students will start at 7:30 and end school at 2:50. While High school and Middle school students would start school at 8:30 and leave at 3:50, but is this actually a bad thing? How does this effect the students and teachers at Westside High School? For upcoming seniors, the new time change might actually be beneficial. The seniors during the 2018-2019 school year will be able to start school at later time and still will able to have seventh period off and leave earlier than the current school hours. This is beneficial because most seniors are busy after school with their jobs, internships and senioritis . Also, bus riders don’t have to wake up so early to get to their bus stops on time. Although students wouldn’t have to wake up earlier they would arrive home later. This can interfere with parents work schedules and any after school activities and sports students are a part of.

According to David Gonzalez, a junior here at Westside, “The new school hours will make my daily routine better, as activities, such as soccer, can be practiced in the morning, just how it can be done in the afternoon. The main issue surrounding this change will be the traffic, which won’t really change the time we get home, since activities can now be held in the morning, and continued/finished in the afternoon for an hour. This benefits me because I can get more sleep.”

Sosina Feleke, Writer

Hello, I’m Sosina Feleke, I’m a junior here at  Westside High School and this is my first year as a writer for Howler News. I’m also part of the I Howl team, WEGA, and five other clubs. I also enjoy playing tennis in my free time. After high school, I plan to major in Biomedical Engineering.