Westside Uniform Leniency

Since Westside has imposed a fairly strict dress code on its students, there have been fields of black, blue, and gray in halls and classrooms. These fields of Westside colors have replaced the fields of multi-colors that once flooded the halls, but the question in standing is whether Westside is getting slightly closer to these said fields of color since the uniform has been imposed. In essence, it would seem some of the rules have been altered since the time they were imposed. Students are now allowed to wear black jeans and, under some circumstances, their sports wear (such as varsity jackets, JROTC uniforms, etc..). Despite these minor changes, the leniency regarding uniforms has not changed whatsoever and it can be said that the Westside halls have not gotten any closer to that field of colors it once was.

In comparison to the fact that free dress was prevalent in Westside for over fifteen years, being able to wear a new color of pants and certain kinds of sportswear under certain circumstances is virtually nothing. It is stupendous how students are able to now choose between a variety of colors of pants to wear to school, those colors being khaki and black. It is also absolutely mind-blowing how students are able to wear certain types of sportswear under certain circumstances. However, these two factors are not lenient; if anything, they are simply two small components added into the vortex of uniform rules imposed on all Westside students.

Even though the changes were definitely small factors, they were ultimately much more preferable than the previous, moreso austere uniform dress code that was in play. While two small factors might have been added to the Westside uniform, neither of them even remotely incorporated leniency. Girls still continue to struggle with the terrible inconvenience of having a skirt that is an inch or so too short, and most of them will have to face the consequences of having a skirt that is so. Students are still stopped in the hallways on Fridays for having shirts that are lighter than a royal blue. So, while there were changes to the dress code, there is still no leniency and it will most likely continue to be this way for awhile.

When imposing a dress code on students, Westside is full aware that leniency is not tolerated. As awful as the strictness of uniforms might seem to students, it is with the best interest of students and thus it is the student’s obligations to abide by the strictness.