• May 1All 9-11 grade students can begin picking up their yearbooks on Tuesday, May 8th at A lunch

• April 11It's finally spring, get outside and enjoy the sun

• April 11Seniors will get their Yearbooks on Monday, May 7th.

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The Importance of an Education

Adviser Note:  This the final story that Senior Blake Gomez will write for the Howler News.  Blake has been a member of the staff for 2 years, and during that time he has kept us informed, thinking, and happy to share a laugh.  He is off to college with an excitement to explore and contribute to the world.  When he isn’t writing, he likes to play games on the computer.  Maybe someday we will all play a game, that he has written the story for.

Best of luck Blake!  Go forth and conquer!S. Roberts

As the school year is reaching its end and students are gearing up for summer break, I wanted to take the time to explain why an education is such an important part of one’s life and why it should be taken seriously. Now, as a fellow student myself, I can certainly understand why kids dislike school. It’s tiring, stressful, and several of the subjects we study have nothing to do with the career that we want to pursue or helps us in our daily lives. However, even though we might feel this way, our society does not.

It doesn’t matter what we think about school or our classes, we still must pass them and we still must ace them. It is the only way we can have a future full of success.  Unfortunately, barely any high paying jobs out there will take hire someone who has not achieved a higher education. For this reason, some students feel discouraged to even pursue a college education or even drop out while they are still in high school. They believe that all of the hard work they put in for 12 years to graduate and receive their diploma means nothing in the end. This reason is shown more with how our society glorifies completing high school with a massive ceremony involved in it.

It makes them think, “What’s the point?” While I do understand where these people are coming from, it doesn’t mean that they should just give up. Quitting is the worst possible thing you can do to yourself as it will just make your life harder in the end. You can get a GED but it will probably be more difficult to find a job since employers might see you as a quitter. They might think that you won’t be able to live up to the expectations expected at work and will not hire you. There are many times where I want to quit when things get rough but I always refuse. Life will always have its ups and downs but I won’t be able to get anywhere if I were to back down. That is why I am encouraging those who feel this way to always try their hardest even when the going gets rough as real life is incredibly harsh and will not treat you nicely.

Basically, to summarize this whole rant, take school seriously and don’t slack off. Work hard during your freshman year so you can have a very high GPA to start off your high school career. Don’t procrastinate even though it is a difficult habit to get over. Finally, don’t push yourself to take challenging courses that you can’t handle. If you aren’t doing well in it consider dropping to an easier class since it can hurt your GPA if you have a low grade in it. College is the only way for you to have a fruitful and prosperous future so don’t mess up your chance of getting into one!