• May 9The 2017 Senior Edition of the Howler News is OUT! Get it while you can.

• May 9Update - Laptop check in begins Wednesday, May 17th for seniors

• March 29The 2017 Canidae Yearbook is SOLD OUT. Thanks wolves!

Filed under Student Life

Tobacco$ Worth it?

Cigarettes, snuff, dip as well as many other forms of tobacco have always been present among high school students and continue to ruin lives. Not only is tobacco costly on a monetary scale but it is also potentially disastrous to your health. One of the most prevalent habits around, there is so much information surrounding the destructive effects of tobacco, yet still many continue the behavior. Surprisingly, many of Westside’s student body aren’t as opposed as one would assume. One Senior (who prefers to remain anonymous) stated, “It’s not as bad as everyone says… I don’t really see a problem with it.”

Things such as gum disease, addiction, cardiovascular problems, and even cancers such as leukemia are risk of smoking and/or “dipping”. Who would pay for cancer you ask? Well you’d be surprised considering more than $32 billion is spent each year on cigarettes and other forms of tobacco. According to the Surgeon General, 90% of smokers began before the age of 19. Why is there a correlation between tobacco and today’s youth?

Most students are aware of at least a few of these facts, yet surprisingly there isn’t as much negative association regarding tobacco among the student body as one would assume. 10 WHS Students were anonymously surveyed about their knowledge and opinions on the matter. The results could certainly be regarded as eye opening considering that 80% said they don’t really think it’s a problem in school anymore, yet 90% said they have a close friend or relative who smokes. The topic will likely be around for much longer since smoking, dipping, etc. is so prevalent not only in schools but throughout many other aspects of life. One could ascertain that perhaps its the environment that make a child take up smoking. Peer pressure, stress, or family members who uses tobacco could all be environment based factors causing a teen to start up.

Money, friends, love interest, teeth/gums, lives. Is tobacco worth these things to you? What else will you let it take?