• March 27Seniors, prom tickets go on sale April 8!!!

• March 27Pride team tryouts the first week of April, see Ms. Emert for more information.

• March 27Cheerleading tryouts the first week of April! Go see Ms. George for more information.

• March 27Playoff soccer game at Spring Woods high school this Friday, March 29 at 7:30. Please go and support!!

• January 25Only 37 2019 Yearbooks left to sell. Order your book today at www.Balfour.com

Filed under Opinion

Fake News?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fake News?

In the past month, there has been a recent discovery that many local news anchors have been reciting the same script word-for-word to their viewers. The script warned their millions of viewers about the dangers of “fake news” and excessive time talking about their political agenda. The script and its meaning seem to echo the words used by Trump and his associates over the critiques on media. The Sinclair Broadcast Group, which is the biggest operator of over 200 local TV news stations has been called out for “brainwashing” their viewers with repeated scripts.

It’s claimed by news anchors themselves and audiences that this is a reflection of propaganda within our democracy. If anything, the required speech given out by news anchors run by Sinclair is “extremely dangerous to our democracy.” Sinclair’s reasoning is that they are simply asking news anchors to remind audiences of the existence of stories which have been fabricated. Many people who watch the news are old enough to be aware of fake news online or anywhere and it’s up to them whether they believe it or not, so there’s no point in trying to enforce it even further. The enforcement is restricting news outlets from pure journalism and bringing in propaganda instead. It’s almost as if this Trump propaganda is gaslighting the American audiences. It’s unfair to forcefully push the freedom of the press out especially by a large cooperation affiliated with many broadcasting stations across the US.

I believe that this is going to end up hurting our democracy because hearing enforced scripts is almost equivalent to the “fake news” they warn us about. It’s time to take a stand against this before it creates worldwide propaganda and we repeat history all over again

Brenda Almanza, Author

This is Brenda Almanza, she's a Junior at Westside High School and this is her first year as an writer for Howler News. She dances for Westside's Inertia...