• October 17Make sure to grab a Homecoming contract from the Welcome Desk! You can't go without a signed contract.

• October 17Wear your Astros gear tomorrow in support of our team!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• October 3Underclassmen, the PSAT is right around the corner. Oct. 24th so start studying now!

Filed under Opinion

Fake News?

In the past month, there has been a recent discovery that many local news anchors have been reciting the same script word-for-word to their viewers. The script warned their millions of viewers about the dangers of “fake news” and excessive time talking about their political agenda. The script and its meaning seem to echo the words used by Trump and his associates over the critiques on media. The Sinclair Broadcast Group, which is the biggest operator of over 200 local TV news stations has been called out for “brainwashing” their viewers with repeated scripts.

It’s claimed by news anchors themselves and audiences that this is a reflection of propaganda within our democracy. If anything, the required speech given out by news anchors run by Sinclair is “extremely dangerous to our democracy.” Sinclair’s reasoning is that they are simply asking news anchors to remind audiences of the existence of stories which have been fabricated. Many people who watch the news are old enough to be aware of fake news online or anywhere and it’s up to them whether they believe it or not, so there’s no point in trying to enforce it even further. The enforcement is restricting news outlets from pure journalism and bringing in propaganda instead. It’s almost as if this Trump propaganda is gaslighting the American audiences. It’s unfair to forcefully push the freedom of the press out especially by a large cooperation affiliated with many broadcasting stations across the US.

I believe that this is going to end up hurting our democracy because hearing enforced scripts is almost equivalent to the “fake news” they warn us about. It’s time to take a stand against this before it creates worldwide propaganda and we repeat history all over again

Brenda Almanza, Author

This is Brenda Almanza, she’s a Junior at Westside High School and this is her first year as an writer for Howler News. She dances for Westside’s Inertia Dance Company, and is also involved in NHS and NSHSS. Her biggest dream is to become a veterinarian after she graduates.