The Future of Public Education

Photo+Model%3A+Elie+Jaber+

Haadiya Meriam Al-Awady

Photo Model: Elie Jaber

Haadiya Meriam Al-Awady, Writer, Photographer

Public education is education in a school that is maintained at public expense for the education of the children of a community or district. Public education means it is a tuition-free, publicly funded system that must provide an education to each child in a neighborhood school within a publicly governed school system.

The future of public education is yet to come. There are many changes we are not aware of but have to start seeing in our schools. For instance, advancements in technology, increasing violence, and implementation of child protection laws. (Rochelle, Sondra. “What Will US Public Education Be Like in the Future?” 6 Sept. 2016)

Violence has always been a problem anywhere and everywhere, but it has begun to increase and cause a big disruption in schools today. To deal with this issue, many schools have installed weapons monitors and video systems. They also have armed police officers on duty every day. With this in mind, some things we can do to prevent this issue is to go back to using smaller facilities so that student populations are more manageable and/or use adult volunteers as school monitors along with the officers.

Advancements in technology. Although it may be viewed as a great way to send emails, connect with students, and do assignments in a more effective way, some view this as a problem because they say teachers began to depend on such tech devices to enhance their teaching and even do a lot of it for them. However, I believe that computers actually have helped us to increase the delivery of our education and do not view this as a problem to our education, only an advancement to our future.

Implementation of child protection laws. I believe it is great to have laws to protect students at school, however, attending public school has become an increasingly difficult problem for young people because it is difficult to learn and function when so many people are demanding that their needs be met. Parents are so busy demanding their rights that they are sucking school systems dry, causing teachers to leave and consuming the opportunity for other children to learn. These are all things that contribute to the downfall of schools and will eventually become a total reality in the future.

With all this in mind, I believe technology will definitely continue to grow no matter what, there will instances of violence, and everyone will want laws protecting their children. The educational systems of the future are already here, but they are in their very early stages. They have both good and bad points, but it is clear that the old ways of educating children are fast disappearing.