Wolf Band’s first competition of the season

On Saturday, October 8th, Westside High School’s Marching Band participated in Katy Independent School District’s 37th Annual Marching Festival. They competed against 28 other schools at Legacy Stadium with all 3 parts of their 2022-2023 show “MASTERWORKS.

After their performance, members were asked if they performed better or worse than they anticipated: “I think we did a lot worse than we thought we would, but only in specific parts,” said Drumline captain Anahi Codina. ” There were a few major things, but nothing that ruined the whole performance. Placing 21st in the competition provided good feedback for what they need to work on as the band and color guard prepare for the UIL Marching Band Competition coming up in a week. They hope to make it to regions.

Senior Sarah Devany went into this competition with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised with the results. ” I think we did better than we thought we would.” to put it into perspective, she continues, “considering my standards from last year weren’t very high, I’m happy with how we did.”

In a lengthy email, Wolf Band’s director, Mr. Gonzalez, commented on trials and tribulations band overcome, welcomes back Color guard, and expressed his pride for his students: “It’s wild to think of all the work that goes into six minutes of a competitive show! From uniforms, to purchasing music, having drill spots written, to starting band camp several weeks before classes begin in August–all of it (and so much more) goes towards making a six-minute show memorable and as polished as possible! As we chase perfection, we hope to catch greatness. The Wolf Band is proud to feature the return of our Color guard, under the instruction of Ms. Biswell, after a year-long hiatus. Color guard is a vital aspect of any successful and competitive marching band, and we are excited to see our members progress as the season continues. We’ve had to work past lots of hurdles: a small freshman class; (re)establishing a culture of motivation, dedication, and discipline; COVID-19; issues from outside the band hall that affect the rehearsals that happen inside–but our Wolf Band students have shown great resilience and are on their way leaving their legacy for future members. I could not be more proud of them.”

The competition that’ll determine who advances to UIL area is on Tuesday, October 18th at Legacy Stadium. Wolf Band performs at 7:15PM: Be loud and wear blue! Tickets can only be purchased here!!