• October 11Softball COLOR RUN! is October 21st, in the AM. Register today

• October 11Underclass Picture Days will be October 16 - 17. for all 9-11 students

What is Genysys Works?

Elizabeth George, Writer

You might have some theories of your own based on the name. No, it is not a religious organization, a band, or a healthcare provider. I’m sorry if I’ve disappointed you, but trust me when I tell you it might especially peak your interest if you’re a freshmen, sophomore, or junior this year.

Genysys Works is a non-profit organization dedicated to exposing high school students to the working world. Now-a-days, employers are looking for the diploma and the experience. Most of us find ourselves disadvantaged as the average teenager and young adults’ experiences consist of social media. I don’t mean to discredit social media, but its not exactly valuable in most professional settings. Genysys Works prepares students for their careers while decorating their resumes.

The students involved have the privilege of missing periods five through seven while making some hard earned moola. In addition, they have a choice of working with IT (Information technology) or Business Operations.

Once you’re involved, its a great opportunity, however there are some prerequisites in order to be accepted into the program:

To be even considered for the program, you have to be a senior, get recommendations/reviews, and receive a signature of approval from your dean. After all of that, you have to interview for the internship you’re applying for.

If you’ve been accepted, all that is required from you from that point on is well kept grades and conduct.

As long as you meet the requirements, anyone can be involved!

However, with great opportunity, comes the reality of a job: you have to wear professional dress and have to drive to your work site.

To be fair, this is all coming from an outsiders point of view and research. Take a listen to what Giovanna Enriquez, a student involved in Genysys this year, has to say!

“I would recommend it (Genysys Works) to other students, especially if you’re looking into the field you intern in. The downside is having to drive 30 minutes a day which takes up a lot of gas. Either way, its a good opportunity that helps you prepare for what’s ahead.”

I hope this piece helped you all understand what Genysys Works is and what its all about. If you’re interested, I strongly encourage you to talk to your dean, and buy a pair of slacks. You could be one of the next Genysys interns!