• March 27Seniors, prom tickets go on sale April 8!!!

• March 27Pride team tryouts the first week of April, see Ms. Emert for more information.

• March 27Cheerleading tryouts the first week of April! Go see Ms. George for more information.

• March 27Playoff soccer game at Spring Woods high school this Friday, March 29 at 7:30. Please go and support!!

• January 25Only 37 2019 Yearbooks left to sell. Order your book today at www.Balfour.com

Filed under Sports

Why are we athletes?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why are we athletes?

There is a fine line between being the athlete on the field and being the fan in the stands. Previously, we have looked into why humans are fans of sports and get so crazy that the begin to gamble on there favorite  sports team. Now lets get into why so many people are athletes.

How many student athletes are in America? According to NCAA,” But of the nearly 8 million students currently participating in high school athletics in the United States, only 480,000 of them will compete at NCAA schools.” Wow! Almost 8 million high school students participate in a sport. Compared to the total amount of students enrolled in grades 12-9: 15.1 million (nces.ed.gov) That is over half of the student population in all high schools.

But what encourages these mass amounts of athletes? A study performed by ‘changing the game project’ discovered that, “because it brings them enjoyment.” That’s it, it brings them enjoyment. It’s fun! Exciting! A challenge! Why not? Students become athletes to be apart of something bigger than them, they are automatically put into a group with people who will become there friends. They will work together, struggle together, and win together. Being an athlete  means you have a passion and skill for a sport that you want to do because it brings you satisfaction. This is what we want to here when we think about student athletes.

Eva Maxcy, Writer

My name is Eva, I am a senior at Westside High school. At Westside I am a Captain for the varsity swim team! This is my first year as a writer on Howler...