Why are we athletes?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why are we athletes?

There is a fine line between being the athlete on the field and being the fan in the stands. Previously, we have looked into why humans are fans of sports and get so crazy that the begin to gamble on there favorite  sports team. Now lets get into why so many people are athletes.

How many student athletes are in America? According to NCAA,” But of the nearly 8 million students currently participating in high school athletics in the United States, only 480,000 of them will compete at NCAA schools.” Wow! Almost 8 million high school students participate in a sport. Compared to the total amount of students enrolled in grades 12-9: 15.1 million (nces.ed.gov) That is over half of the student population in all high schools.

But what encourages these mass amounts of athletes? A study performed by ‘changing the game project’ discovered that, “because it brings them enjoyment.” That’s it, it brings them enjoyment. It’s fun! Exciting! A challenge! Why not? Students become athletes to be apart of something bigger than them, they are automatically put into a group with people who will become there friends. They will work together, struggle together, and win together. Being an athlete  means you have a passion and skill for a sport that you want to do because it brings you satisfaction. This is what we want to here when we think about student athletes.