• January 25Your Westside 2019 Canidae Yearbook is selling fast, less than 200 books left. Don't miss out, order your book today.

• January 11Inertia and Inertia2 are performing in the HISD Dance Montage @ Westbury HS on Satuday, 1.26

• January 11Seniors, manage those AB's...final exam exemptions are at stake

• January 11Senior Quotes & nominations for Senior Superlatives, are due on the 30th. Turn in: E244

Stoneman Douglas High School: What Happened

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School memorial for all the lives claimed during the shooting

Today's New

Today's New

Today's New

Lanyejah Frierson, Writer

Most people are very aware of the school shooting the occurred at ‘Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’ in Parkland Florida on February 14, 2018, but that’s all that many students know.

The nineteen-year-old gunman, Nikolas Cruz, who had been expelled from Stoneman Douglas High prior to this day, arrived at the school in an Uber that Wednesday. Cruz Pulled the fire alarm to get students and teachers out into the halls and used his AR-15 assault rifle to kill 17 students and staff members and to wound 17 more. Cruz wore a protective vest, and a gas mask and carried smoke grenades.

Following his horrific act, Cruz then dropped his vest, mask and his rifle, blended in with the chaotic crowd of fleeing people, and ran off the campus to a Walmart, purchased a drink in a Subway, and then entered a McDonald’s. Cruz not only admitted to the crime, after being detained at the McDonald, he also admitted to hiding extra ammunition in his backpack.

Although this nightmarish incident happened in 2018, in 2017 the FBI received a warning about a YouTube comment made by a user with the name “Nikolas Cruz” that read “I’m going to be a professional school shooter” with no other context available in the comment. The FBI told the press that during that time their database reviews and checks they were unable to further identify the user and confirm that it was actually Nikolas. Many people admitted to fearing Nikolas and his possible capability of violence long before his misdeeds committed that day.

Nikolas’ terrifying acts have not only heavily affected the Parkland community but school districts across the country. Schools are tightening up on their rules and procedures. There have been drills set in place to prevent such a tragedy from happening again and to prepare students and teachers for the possibility of that chance. Drills that we perform in our very own school. Safety has been more important now than ever.

Lanyejah Frierson, Writer

I am Lanyejah. This is my first year ever doing newspaper, something I've always wanted to do. I have always enjoyed writing and I'm really excited to...