• January 25Your Westside 2019 Canidae Yearbook is selling fast, less than 200 books left. Don't miss out, order your book today.

• January 11Inertia and Inertia2 are performing in the HISD Dance Montage @ Westbury HS on Satuday, 1.26

• January 11Seniors, manage those AB's...final exam exemptions are at stake

• January 11Senior Quotes & nominations for Senior Superlatives, are due on the 30th. Turn in: E244

Government Shutdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

Government Shutdown

Sonaiya Grant, Writer

“WASHINGTON – The federal government is moving closer to its third government shutdown since President Donald Trump took office. Trump said he’s willing to let it happen. Last week, at President George H.W. Bush’s funeral, Congress and Trump agreed to keep the government open through Dec. 21st. Since lawmakers fail to act before that day, some government agencies will no longer have the necessary funding to keep places open and will be forced to close their doors when that time comes.”-USA TODAY NEWS.

I’m sure many of you have heard that the government has shut down due to the Democrats and republic party not being able to agree on funding for the wall Donald Trump wants, due to this issue many businesses and attractions will close down. Such as things like the national zoo and museums may fall victim to the government shutdown.

How did we get here?

Congress approved 5 bills giving funding for defense, energy/water, labor and Health and Human Services, also the legislative branch and finally, Veterans Affairs. Trump also signed those into law. But sadly congress has 7 other bills that are in need of funding which is Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, justice, Homeland Security, Interior, State, Transportation and lastly Housing and urban development, as well as several smaller agencies that fall into that spending group as well. Due to the government shutdown, all of these departments and agencies will be affected.

Why is the deadline next week?

“The federal fiscal year began Oct. 1, but since Congress had not funded every department and agency, lawmakers passed a short-term spending bill in late September to give them time to finish their work.”-USA TODAY NEWS

This leaves Congress with few options: Pass all seven of the remaining spending bills by next week, which is a tall order. Pass another short-term spending bill to buy more time. Pass six of the remaining seven budget bills and a one-year extension of the funding for Homeland Security, an idea that House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California and Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer of New York are pushing, so negotiations on border security funding could continue into 2019. Or allow the short-term funding to lapse, which would trigger a partial government shutdown.

How will the government shutdown affect the people?

“Tax refunds will go out despite the government shutdown, with an early filing date on Jan. 28”-USA TODAY NEWS.

Yes, while many people have had doubt it has been stated by multiple sources that tax refunds and Social Security will still continue. Even if Congress fails to pass a spending bill.

Another issue that people have been concurred people is if troops will get paid. “President Trump said in a tweet Tuesday the “biggest loser” in a government shutdown would be the military. It’s a talking point used by many congressional Republicans hoping to put Democrats on the spot by saying a shutdown would mean the troops don’t get paid.”-USA TODAY NEWS. But since the military gets paid on the 1st and 15th of every month. So they wouldn’t be due for another one until Feb. 1 since the troops just received a paycheck. Which means military personnel would not suffer a lapse in pay unless a government shutdown lasted until the end of the month or longer.

Sonaiya Grant, Writer

Hello my name is Sonaiya Grant, and this will be my first year in the newspaper, to be honest, I'm really  excited about learning how to work with camera's...