• January 25Your Westside 2019 Canidae Yearbook is selling fast, less than 200 books left. Don't miss out, order your book today.

• January 11Inertia and Inertia2 are performing in the HISD Dance Montage @ Westbury HS on Satuday, 1.26

• January 11Seniors, manage those AB's...final exam exemptions are at stake

• January 11Senior Quotes & nominations for Senior Superlatives, are due on the 30th. Turn in: E244

Filed under Sports

Swimming vs. Water Polo

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swimming vs. Water Polo

"This is the home of Westside Aquatics!"

Swimming or Water Polo? In High School about 80% of the time, if you swim, you also play water polo. But which is better?

Here at Westside High school, we have a variety of opinions on the frequently asked question, Is Water Polo better than Swimming? I had the opportunity to speak with a variety of team members who participate in both sports.

Swimmer and Water polo goalie Evan Fowler-cook (12) stated, ” Swimming is hard and kind of boring. Water polo is where it’s at. You get to have fun!” Although, he makes a good point swimmer and new water polo player Carmen (10) states, ” I do feel that swimming does get a little boring at times but its a challenge. Water polo is just a death match. It’s scary!”

We also had the opportunity to speak with the one and only Coach Alex Sikkema. When confronted with the question, ” How do you prepare the transition between swimming and water polo?” Sikkema stated,” swimming and water polo are to entirely different sports so there really isn’t a transition. You just jump from one to another. Swimming is a lot of repetition and technique, you really have to focus on your self and the times you will make. Water polo, on the other hand, is a game. You’re physically competing with another team and constantly going over new plays. I ask my swimmers, do you want to play water polo? if they say no that’s it, see you next season. But if they say yes, cool I will see you at practice.”

Will it seems that this debate cannot be settled, swimming and water polo are just too different to be compared to each other. Swimming is a race, how fast are you? Water polo is a game, who can score more points? If you enjoy swimming laps and racing against the clock them swimming is your choice. But if you enjoy being aggressive, blocking a ball and shooting goals, then water polo is the sport for you.

Eva Maxcy, Writer

My name is Eva, I am a senior at Westside High school. At Westside I am a Captain for the varsity swim team! This is my first year as a writer on Howler...