• October 31A Salem Story

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• September 12Senior Super Saturday for Senior Portraits is October 13th. That's for you...Seniors! Click on the flyer just below

Remembering Regan Moger

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Riley Johnston, Writer

On September 17, 2018, former Westside student, Regan Moger passed away. Regan was my friend. I don’t want to talk about how she died and the dangers of speeding, everybody is already doing that. I want to talk about what she did right.

I met Regan in 2014. It was the summer before 7th grade, and we both attended Camp Cho-Yeh, a well-known summer camp. She was in my cabin, and I absolutely despised her. She was rude and obnoxious, but nobody could deny how hilarious she was. I remember this one day when I was particularly homesick, I sat in my bed writing a letter to my parents. Apparently, Regan told everyone in my cabin I was writing rumors about them. It’s safe to say I wasn’t a fan. Camp ended a few days later and I thought I’d never see her again.

The years passed and suddenly, I was a freshman in high school. It was summer yet again and I decided to try out for Westside’s volleyball program. Little did I know that Regan would also be trying out that day…

We pretty much just ignored each other the whole year until one day I saw a post on Instagram, made by Regan, venting about how she couldn’t stay in her house anymore because her parents kept taking her phone, which is definitely┬ásomething she would do. Like any kind person, I reached out to her saying “hey if you ever need a place to stay, my house is always open,” thinking that she’d never take me up on that offer. Little did I know, Regan would be living at my house for 5 days following that conversation.

At first, I wasn’t happy about it, but I’m not one to go back on a promise, so I let her stay. Those 5 days were 120 hours full of fun and laughter. Regan and I went on to become great friends for the remaining 1.5 years of her life.

She was a character. An enigmatic, crazy, and extremely difficult ball of light and happiness. She was the type of person that left an impression on everyone she met. My dad used to stop by Schlotzski’s, where she worked, occasionally for lunch and he would always come home with a story of something funny she said or did. Her manager contacted my father after she died and told him that Regan always enjoyed when her “best friend’s dad” stopped by to mess with her through the drive-thru microphone.

I was dumb-founded when my mom told me what had happened. Regan was such a good friend to me and I really don’t want her to be gone.

Riley Johnston, Writer

Riley Johnston is a junior at Westside High School. She is the president of Baking for the Better and this is her first year on the Howler News staff. In her spare time, she enjoys writing, taking pictures, eating various baked goods, and spending time with her friends and girlfriend. Riley is very excited to begin writing for the Howler News this year!

1 Comment

One Response to “Remembering Regan Moger”

1. Kate Moger on November 2nd, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks for writing this. She was full of contradictions. You capture perfectly how difficult (and like.. mean) she could be and yet also how kind and funny should could be once you got past that ‘tough’ exterior. xx

• Remembering Regan Moger

Calling all 2019 Wolves!

• Remembering Regan Moger

LEGOs aren’t just for kids!

• Remembering Regan Moger

Zeroes as placeholder grades

• Remembering Regan Moger

The dean shuffle

• Remembering Regan Moger

Athlete tutorials

• Remembering Regan Moger

HISD School Times

• Remembering Regan Moger

Senior 411 (Part 2)

• Remembering Regan Moger

Senior 411

• Remembering Regan Moger

Technology Update

• Remembering Regan Moger

Is the truth out there?

Remembering Regan Moger