• January 25Your Westside 2019 Canidae Yearbook is selling fast, less than 200 books left. Don't miss out, order your book today.

• January 11Inertia and Inertia2 are performing in the HISD Dance Montage @ Westbury HS on Satuday, 1.26

• January 11Seniors, manage those AB's...final exam exemptions are at stake

• January 11Senior Quotes & nominations for Senior Superlatives, are due on the 30th. Turn in: E244

Remembering Regan Moger

Back to Article
Back to Article

Remembering Regan Moger

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Riley Johnston, Writer

On September 17, 2018, former Westside student, Regan Moger passed away. Regan was my friend. I don’t want to talk about how she died and the dangers of speeding, everybody is already doing that. I want to talk about what she did right.

I met Regan in 2014. It was the summer before 7th grade, and we both attended Camp Cho-Yeh, a well-known summer camp. She was in my cabin, and I absolutely despised her. She was rude and obnoxious, but nobody could deny how hilarious she was. I remember this one day when I was particularly homesick, I sat in my bed writing a letter to my parents. Apparently, Regan told everyone in my cabin I was writing rumors about them. It’s safe to say I wasn’t a fan. Camp ended a few days later and I thought I’d never see her again.

The years passed and suddenly, I was a freshman in high school. It was summer yet again and I decided to try out for Westside’s volleyball program. Little did I know that Regan would also be trying out that day…

We pretty much just ignored each other the whole year until one day I saw a post on Instagram, made by Regan, venting about how she couldn’t stay in her house anymore because her parents kept taking her phone, which is definitely┬ásomething she would do. Like any kind person, I reached out to her saying “hey if you ever need a place to stay, my house is always open,” thinking that she’d never take me up on that offer. Little did I know, Regan would be living at my house for 5 days following that conversation.

At first, I wasn’t happy about it, but I’m not one to go back on a promise, so I let her stay. Those 5 days were 120 hours full of fun and laughter. Regan and I went on to become great friends for the remaining 1.5 years of her life.

She was a character. An enigmatic, crazy, and extremely difficult ball of light and happiness. She was the type of person that left an impression on everyone she met. My dad used to stop by Schlotzski’s, where she worked, occasionally for lunch and he would always come home with a story of something funny she said or did. Her manager contacted my father after she died and told him that Regan always enjoyed when her “best friend’s dad” stopped by to mess with her through the drive-thru microphone.

I was dumb-founded when my mom told me what had happened. Regan was such a good friend to me and I really don’t want her to be gone.

Riley Johnston, Writer

Riley Johnston is a junior at Westside High School. She is the president of Baking for the Better and this is her first year on the Howler News staff....

1 Comment

One Response to “Remembering Regan Moger”

1. Kate Moger on November 2nd, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks for writing this. She was full of contradictions. You capture perfectly how difficult (and like.. mean) she could be and yet also how kind and funny should could be once you got past that ‘tough’ exterior. xx

• Remembering Regan Moger

Climate change has struck at westside

• Remembering Regan Moger

Signing Day

• Remembering Regan Moger

Part 2: Technological Innovations (Airpods)

• Remembering Regan Moger

Part 1: Technological Innovations (Face ID)

• Remembering Regan Moger

Stoneman Douglas High School: What Happened

• Remembering Regan Moger

High school newspaper in Arkansas suspended

• Remembering Regan Moger

Student life: How seniors feel about finals?

• Remembering Regan Moger

Calling all 2019 Wolves!

• Remembering Regan Moger

LEGOs aren’t just for kids!

• Remembering Regan Moger

Zeroes as placeholder grades

Remembering Regan Moger