Remembering Regan Moger

Back to Article
Back to Article

Remembering Regan Moger

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Regan and I on July 4th of this year

Riley Johnston, Writer

On September 17, 2018, former Westside student, Regan Moger passed away. Regan was my friend. I don’t want to talk about how she died and the dangers of speeding, everybody is already doing that. I want to talk about what she did right.

I met Regan in 2014. It was the summer before 7th grade, and we both attended Camp Cho-Yeh, a well-known summer camp. She was in my cabin, and I absolutely despised her. She was rude and obnoxious, but nobody could deny how hilarious she was. I remember this one day when I was particularly homesick, I sat in my bed writing a letter to my parents. Apparently, Regan told everyone in my cabin I was writing rumors about them. It’s safe to say I wasn’t a fan. Camp ended a few days later and I thought I’d never see her again.

The years passed and suddenly, I was a freshman in high school. It was summer yet again and I decided to try out for Westside’s volleyball program. Little did I know that Regan would also be trying out that day…

We pretty much just ignored each other the whole year until one day I saw a post on Instagram, made by Regan, venting about how she couldn’t stay in her house anymore because her parents kept taking her phone, which is definitely┬ásomething she would do. Like any kind person, I reached out to her saying “hey if you ever need a place to stay, my house is always open,” thinking that she’d never take me up on that offer. Little did I know, Regan would be living at my house for 5 days following that conversation.

At first, I wasn’t happy about it, but I’m not one to go back on a promise, so I let her stay. Those 5 days were 120 hours full of fun and laughter. Regan and I went on to become great friends for the remaining 1.5 years of her life.

She was a character. An enigmatic, crazy, and extremely difficult ball of light and happiness. She was the type of person that left an impression on everyone she met. My dad used to stop by Schlotzski’s, where she worked, occasionally for lunch and he would always come home with a story of something funny she said or did. Her manager contacted my father after she died and told him that Regan always enjoyed when her “best friend’s dad” stopped by to mess with her through the drive-thru microphone.

I was dumb-founded when my mom told me what had happened. Regan was such a good friend to me and I really don’t want her to be gone.