• October 17Make sure to grab a Homecoming contract from the Welcome Desk! You can't go without a signed contract.

• October 17Wear your Astros gear tomorrow in support of our team!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• October 3Underclassmen, the PSAT is right around the corner. Oct. 24th so start studying now!

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Ecological project in the works

"We are making a change!"

This+is+the+prairie+now%2C+but+wait+until+you+see+it+8+months+from+now.+You+will+be+blown+away%21+
This is the prairie now, but wait until you see it 8 months from now. You will be blown away!

The Prairie is getting a makeover! Two of Westside’s very own Ms. Klein and Mr. Spence are partnering with HISD and outside professionals to turn our prairie into a wetland.

What’s a wetland? A wetland is an open piece of land that has aquatic based plants which are meant to sustain water.

The purpose is to improve water quality in Galveston bay,  this may sound crazy but what happens on the prairie here at Westside will end up in the bay. The wetland will help water sink into the soil and be filtered through, this will cause more clean water to be flowing into the bay.

The more open land we have on the west side of houston the less flooding will occur. Wetlands are like sponges they absorb more water when they are wet, this Prairie project will help increase the amount of water the prairie can hold so we will experience less flooding and be able to positively affect the Galveston Bay.

This project is also meant for Westside high school students to be a part of something bigger. Something that will affect our planet. Many Westside students will be able to experience hands-on work with the environment, using their imagination and smarts to help design and create this new wetland.

Several Westside students were able to give their thoughts on this tremendous project. When asked, Senior Sam Bule) said, “ It sounds like a good idea and a worthy endeavor.” Although Sam does not have the opportunity to participate, another westside student, Junior Holly Johnson does. She provided a very positive response when asked if she would take part in the wetland project, “ Of Course! I don’t know the exact position I will be holding but I will definitely be participating.” Holly is very excited to get started and to learn of what exactly she will be able to do.

Westside’s AP environmental science teacher and founder of the wetland project, Ms. Carolyn Klein was able to share some information with us. “I have a vision for what it will be, part of that is that students will be involved. We will be relying on external services from HISD, their schedules are limited so some things won’t be able to get done when we want. That will be disappointing. Hopefully, it should be done by May of 2019 for the grand cutting ceremony.”

When asked if she believes the wetland project will meet her expectations, this is what she had to say, “Yes, Whatever we get done is more than what we have now, so we will be celebrating no matter what. Me and Mr. Spence’s goal is to help kids as young adults to experience how to prepare and work to achieve something that will take time and multiple steps, people involved will gain in this experience even if we don’t get finished. Mr. Spence is better at focusing on the journey instead of results. I may just have to be happy about the journey.”