• January 25Your Westside 2019 Canidae Yearbook is selling fast, less than 200 books left. Don't miss out, order your book today.

• January 11Inertia and Inertia2 are performing in the HISD Dance Montage @ Westbury HS on Satuday, 1.26

• January 11Seniors, manage those AB's...final exam exemptions are at stake

• January 11Senior Quotes & nominations for Senior Superlatives, are due on the 30th. Turn in: E244

Filed under News, Showcase

HISD School Times

Back to Article
Back to Article

HISD School Times

As everyone has heard since the end of last school year, HISD was making some big changes for the 2018-2019 school years. The first big change that has been implemented is the school times for all elementary, middle and high schools. The reason being is to have more reliable and affordable transportation to all HISD students. This year HISD has implemented “school hubs” where students can catch the bus depending on where they live or where they attend school. Usually, the school hub is about 2-3 miles away from where the student lives.

The standard 2018-2019 school times:

• 7:30 a.m.-2:50 p.m. for elementary schools and early childhood centers
  • 8:30 a.m.-3:50 p.m. for PK-8, K-8, and middle schools
  • 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. for high schools and 6-12 campuses
  • Because of partnerships with HCC and other unique needs, select schools may have alternate start/dismissal times, and parents can contact the campus for details. They are: Challenge HS, DeBakey HS, East Early College, Energy HS, HAIS, HCC Transition/Food Bank, HSPVA, Jones Futures Academy, Barbara Jordan HS, Liberty HS (a.m.), Liberty HS (p.m.), Middle College HS HCC Fraga, Middle College HS HCC Gulfton, North Early College, South Early College, and TH Rogers

For many students here at Westside, it has been a struggle to make it to school on time. Many students who ride the bus have been arriving about 15-30 minutes after school has started. Each day there are about 10-14 buses that arrive after 8:30. As we all know it’s very important to get to school on time because students miss out on instructional time and learning. Senior, Leslie Montano says,”It’s really upsetting when I get to school late and due to school ending later I have to work later hours.” With school getting out later, it causes issues for students who have jobs. With the new school times, Westside had adopted 6th and 7th period off campus for students who have jobs. Which is very convenient for students some students. Khady Mboup says, “I have had my paid internship job since last year; having 6th and 7th period off campus has allowed me to keep my job and maintain the hours that I work.

Overall Westside has made many adjustments for the students. Westside has adopted 6th and 7th period off campus for students who have jobs. Many students do not really approve of the new schools times, but what can they do right?

Do you like the new school times?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Euriah McQueen, Editor

Euriah McQueen is a 12th grader and this is her fourth year on the Howler New staff. Her freshman year she was in photojournalism where she took photos...