• December 5December has officially started! Go check out Lights in the Heights, Santa's Wonderland, and many other holiday festivities!

• December 5Finals are just around the corner, so be sure to start studying as soon as possible!

• December 5The Winter Choir Concert will be taking place on December 11th in the Westside auditorium! You don't want to miss out!

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• September 12Yearbooks are still on sale! Click on the flyer just below.

Filed under Opinion

Who’s Protecting the Students?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Who’s Protecting the Students?

The safety of students during the school day is a very controversial topic in today’s society. Of course there are police officers on campus, but for the most part, teachers are the ones protecting students every day when they go to school. Which would make one assume that they are obviously getting paid enough money for the service they give every day. However,  according to some teachers, that’s not the case. Some teachers are not getting paid enough for not only teaching but also protecting students. There has been recent news on teachers walking out of schools to protest for better pay. According to Moriah Balingi from the Washington post, “Teachers in Muskogee, where the gym roof is so leaky that volleyball games get “rained out,” arrived to urge lawmakers to restore education funding, which has fallen 30 percent over the last decade. Many of them came bearing a threat: Increase education funding, or teachers will not return to work.” This makes one question of this is actually a justifiable reason to walk out of school, and in fact it is.

Teachers are protesting to increase government funding for schools and better pay for teachers. In Oklahoma,”teachers are asking for a $10,000 raise for themselves, a $5,000 raise for support staff, $200 million over three years in funding for local schools and $500 million over three years in funding for state agencies and other public employees.”  With the increased funding students will be getting a better education and it would also help support teachers who are responsible for students education and safety.

Teachers are not the only ones protesting though, parents and students are also joining in the protests for better treatment of educators and funding. With proper government funding, schools will be able to ensure students safety and adequate education.

Sosina Feleke, Writer

Hello, I'm Sosina Feleke, I'm a junior here at  Westside High School and this is my first year as a writer for Howler News. I'm also part of the I Howl...