• May 1All 9-11 grade students can begin picking up their yearbooks on Tuesday, May 8th at A lunch

• April 11It's finally spring, get outside and enjoy the sun

• April 11Seniors will get their Yearbooks on Monday, May 7th.

Why Video Games Can Be Good

Meriam Al-Awady, Writer

Everyone was wrong. Video games aren’t bad for you. They’re actually making your life better. Although playing too much can affect you, doesn’t mean that playing in general does. Video games come with many benefits. For instance, it improves coordination, improves problem-solving skills, enhances your memory, improves attention, etc.

To better understand how video games affect the brain, German researchers set up a study. They asked twenty three adults with around the age of twenty five to play “Super Mario 64” for thirty minutes a day over a period of two months.

Examining the brains of the two groups using an MRI machine, they found that the gaming group had a rise in gray matter in the right hippo-campus, right prefrontal cortex and the cerebellum, which are the areas of the brain responsible for spatial navigation, memory formation, strategic planning and fine motor skills in the hands. I believe  from this that video games are very good on improving memory, and your strategies. (Guarani, Drew. “Video Games Can Actually Be Good For You.” The Huffington Post)

In addition, in February, Italian researchers showed evidence that playing fast-paced video games can actually improve the reading skills of children with dyslexia. They separated kids into two groups ages seven to thirteen years old. One group played a fast-paced game and the other played a slowly-paced game. When the reading skills of the children were tested after, kids who played the faster-paced game were capable of reading faster and more accurately. The authors of the study concluded that the games in general helped kids increase their attention spans. (“Do Video games help.” Debate: do Video games help | Debate.Org, James Sandoval) I believe this was a great improvement for kids with Dyslexia, and that playing video games was a great way to help with it.

All in all, I believe that video games already has became a big part of society where kids love to play games almost every day. So, it would make no sense to not let the children play games, when they already have spread, and can actually improve a lot of things with the mind and your attention/focusing skills. We leave ourselves at a disadvantage if we refuse to play out of false concerns regarding playing video games. Video games are here to stay.