• October 31A Salem Story

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• September 12Senior Super Saturday for Senior Portraits is October 13th. That's for you...Seniors! Click on the flyer just below

Why Video Games Can Be Good

Meriam Al-Awady, Writer

Everyone was wrong. Video games aren’t bad for you. They’re actually making your life better. Although playing too much can affect you, doesn’t mean that playing in general does. Video games come with many benefits. For instance, it improves coordination, improves problem-solving skills, enhances your memory, improves attention, etc.

To better understand how video games affect the brain, German researchers set up a study. They asked twenty three adults with around the age of twenty five to play “Super Mario 64” for thirty minutes a day over a period of two months.

Examining the brains of the two groups using an MRI machine, they found that the gaming group had a rise in gray matter in the right hippo-campus, right prefrontal cortex and the cerebellum, which are the areas of the brain responsible for spatial navigation, memory formation, strategic planning and fine motor skills in the hands. I believe  from this that video games are very good on improving memory, and your strategies. (Guarani, Drew. “Video Games Can Actually Be Good For You.” The Huffington Post)

In addition, in February, Italian researchers showed evidence that playing fast-paced video games can actually improve the reading skills of children with dyslexia. They separated kids into two groups ages seven to thirteen years old. One group played a fast-paced game and the other played a slowly-paced game. When the reading skills of the children were tested after, kids who played the faster-paced game were capable of reading faster and more accurately. The authors of the study concluded that the games in general helped kids increase their attention spans. (“Do Video games help.” Debate: do Video games help | Debate.Org, James Sandoval) I believe this was a great improvement for kids with Dyslexia, and that playing video games was a great way to help with it.

All in all, I believe that video games already has became a big part of society where kids love to play games almost every day. So, it would make no sense to not let the children play games, when they already have spread, and can actually improve a lot of things with the mind and your attention/focusing skills. We leave ourselves at a disadvantage if we refuse to play out of false concerns regarding playing video games. Video games are here to stay.

Meriam Al-Awady, Writer

Hello! My name is Meriam Al-Awady, and this is my first year taking Journalism. For this class, I am really excited about learning how to take good pictures with the camera. In my free time, I really enjoy listening to music, relaxing, and reading books. My favorite subject in school is Geometry, and my least favorite subject is Chemistry. I hope that after high school I can attend my dream college, Texas A&M. When I grow up, I aspire to become a Registered Nurse. Well, I look forward to having a great time in Journalism this year and making lots of memories. Thank you!