• October 31A Salem Story

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• September 12Senior Super Saturday for Senior Portraits is October 13th. That's for you...Seniors! Click on the flyer just below

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Why Texas A&M Engineering?

Why Texas A&M University? Ever since I was in the seventh grade I started taking engineering courses and that’s when I realized I wanted to become an engineer. However, I never really knew what kind of engineer I wanted to become. As I entered high school and learned more about the different majors through being a part of Westside High School’s Engineering and Geoscience Academy. I decided I wanted to become a Biomedical engineering because I wanted to use math and science and apply that to design equipment and make artificial organs that would benefit peoples and help them live better lives. Furthermore, I also knew I wanted to attend Texas A&M University because it has a great engineering program.

I’ve done a good amount of research about Texas A&M’s Engineering program, but I’ve never visited the campus or talked to current students studying the different engineering majors. Last Saturday, I decided to visit the school to learn more about its Engineering program, during its annual open house “Aggieland Saturday”. I wanted to know more information than what you typically find on the universities website. While being there I asked around about the different programs they offered and what makes A&M special, and different from other engineering schools. Something I really liked is that during your first year you’re placed into general engineering where you can explore the different majors so you can pick one that you’re most interested in. Also, how small their class sizes are, considering they are a big school I assumed the class sizes would be bigger, but most of all I  really enjoyed talking to the current engineering students, and why they chose their major. In addition to that, I was able to see the labs and different experiments they displayed to prospective engineering students. While visiting the Emerging Technologies building on the north side of the campus, I saw a display on how artificial cartilage was placed in human knees to help with joint pain. This gave me a better understanding of the different things biomedical engineering can do. I learned that there were four tracks that you can be a part of, including biomechanics, materials, and bimolecular.

However, I just don’t want to attend A&M because of the academics. While visiting I learned about the history of the school, but I also got a feel for what life would be like while attending school there. Taking a tour of the school and the resident halls helped me understand a typical day on campus and the some of the many traditions they value. I want to attend a school that has an amazing engineering program and traditions I was to be a part of, and that’s A&M.

Sosina Feleke, Writer

Hello, I’m Sosina Feleke, I’m a junior here at  Westside High School and this is my first year as a writer for Howler News. I’m also part of the I Howl team, WEGA, and five other clubs. I also enjoy playing tennis in my free time. After high school, I plan to major in Biomedical Engineering.