• October 17Make sure to grab a Homecoming contract from the Welcome Desk! You can't go without a signed contract.

• October 17Wear your Astros gear tomorrow in support of our team!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• October 3Underclassmen, the PSAT is right around the corner. Oct. 24th so start studying now!

Filed under News

Net Neutrality: Why is it such a big deal?

Devin Coldewey

Devin Coldewey

December 14th, the day that might change the way we live our lives. This is the day Net Neutrality goes to a vote to see whether it will be repealed or not, but what exactly is “Net Neutrality”?

The dictionary definition is “the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites”, meaning we can choose what services we want to browse because they are available to us equally. It has also been described as the internet middle ground between left and right wing politics because it is not completely ruled by the government nor is it entirely “laissez-faire”. To remove this agreement would be shifting the political ground that the internet is laid upon.

This might all come to an end for us though because of Federal Communications Commision which is a government agency that regulates all communications made by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable.Director of the FCC, Ajit Pai, is the main fighting force against net neutrality. His argument for the repeal is because he believes companies no longer have an incentive to expand their services to lower income households. More arguments are that net neutrality is already too heavy of a hand on our internet because it allows us to be censored in ways we don’t even know.

While the right wing has begun to favor the removal of net neutrality it has created a large stir from the left wing. You may have seen this picture floating around when trying to figure out the mess that is the fight on net neutrality, and this picture is just an idea of how our internet might be set up after net neutrality is appealed. This picture also shows what liberal folks are saying is the biggest problem if we get rid of net neutrality. Another problem is there will be a decrease in the speed of certain websites because companies will be allowed to legally sabotage the quality of other companies websites.

Ruth Ferron, Editor

Ruth Ferron is a Senior and this is her fourth year as a contributor and her third year as an editor for The Howler News.

Ruth is on Westside’s varsity tennis team and is in the Chemistry Club. She enjoy listening to music and misses the That 70’s show. Her humor is considered “as dry as a desert”. She is a Capricorn and enjoys being the leader of the group. She wishes to attend the University of North Texas and Major in environmental science as well as journalism.