• May 1All 9-11 grade students can begin picking up their yearbooks on Tuesday, May 8th at A lunch

• April 11It's finally spring, get outside and enjoy the sun

• April 11Seniors will get their Yearbooks on Monday, May 7th.

Filed under News, Showcase

The Domination of Subliminal Advertising

Senior Detola Ahmed is shocked to find that subliminal messaging runs rampant.

Popular corporations are out to get consumers in a way that they aren’t even aware of: through subliminal advertising. Those pesky jingles, abrasive fonts, celebrity-endorsements, and brash colors seem to be everywhere. For the most part, ads are the principal source of income for websites, newspapers, social media pages, television channels; the list goes on and on. Underneath those eye-catching advertisements, however, lie messages that align with a consumer’s subconscious. These messages, unbeknownst to the conscious, often show themselves as hidden images and flashing words; ones that would be seen only by the subconscious.

“I can’t believe corporations would do such a thing. It is so odd and a bit creepy how we are fooled so easily by hidden or flashing images and words; and what’s worse is that it seems to work! I would like to know what kind of corporations do this so next time I see their ad I’ll ignore it.” Said Detola Ahmed, senior.

Even the most trusted of establishments have partook in this unjustified method of money-making.  For instance, the logo of the popular chip company Tostitos depicts two people eating a chip and dipping it in a bowl of salsa; the illustration is discreet and wouldn’t be obvious to most without somebody pointing it out, this illustration coerces the subconscious to crave their food products. Similarly, in a commercial for the well-known fast food chain KFC, an image of a dollar bill flashed in the lettuce of a $1.00 sandwich to blend in. This reinforces the idea that the sandwich is inexpensive; hence, the reason why there is only one sole dollar within the lettuce. Subliminal advertising is depicted in a copious number of ads, some slier than others.

“I knew there must have been a reason advertisements worked so well, no matter how bad they are.  Advertisements, for me, are very irritating and it confused me how they made so much money; subliminal advertising helped me to understand.” Said Bryn McCardle, senior.

Subliminal advertising, through seemingly immoral, is a business tactic that appears to create miracles. Humans have very little control over their subconscious, so having a message drilled into it would inevitably work. Though off-putting, subliminal advertising will undoubtedly stick around for as long as corporations need consumers to make profit.