• October 11Softball COLOR RUN! is October 21st, in the AM. Register today

• October 11Underclass Picture Days will be October 16 - 17. for all 9-11 students

Digi-tail Piracy

Digital Piracy is the illegal issuing of copyrighted material. Copyrighted material is anything from illegally downloading movies, songs, e-books, and or software. If you chose to share a movie, song, e-book, or software, you are also considered a digital pirate.

There are many ways that you can obtain media from digital piracy. Before technology was as advanced as it is today people who would transfer files from their home to their work computers is considered digital piracy. Today, there are many ways to get media and the most popular is through websites full of pirated movies, songs and software. Digital Piracy is become more mainstream as technology advances. According to CNN about 90% of music downloads are downloaded illegally. Which means that it will be very hard to decrease the amount of digital piracy in today’s society. The website PirateBay is a popular website where people download and watch illegal movies. in 2009, the website was shut down and the founder was sent to jail and had to pay a fine.

Many countries have been finding way to decrease the amount of digital piracy although not many of the ideas have been supported. Currently, many companies and artist have developed copyright to protect them selves from thieves. There are already many laws in place against copyrights infringes. In 2009 Jammie Rassat was fined 54,000 dollars for illegally downloading and sharing 24 songs with the public. Today, copyright owners now get money from online web stores such as I-Tunes or movies and television shows on Netflix and Hulu. Both Netflix and Hulu are considered to be “video on demand” websites.  Today digital piracy is a real thing and it is set to increase in the next couple of years.