• October 11Softball COLOR RUN! is October 21st, in the AM. Register today

• October 11Underclass Picture Days will be October 16 - 17. for all 9-11 students

Filed under News, Showcase

New Technology

A preview inside Mrs. Delk’s Audio/Video Production classroom that is filled with Macintoshes.

Westside High School is known for enforcing advanced technology throughout the school from having 3-D printers  to classrooms filled with PCs and Macintoshes. There are only two classrooms out of the entire school that have Macintoshes available to students who take those specific courses. One of those courses being Mrs. Delk’s Audio/Video Production course. This course has two levels, beginning and advanced, that is convenient to juniors and seniors who wish to create videos with programs that successful movie companies use.

Juliana Cotlar, a junior at Westside Student, has Mrs. Delk for her fifth period class.

Juliana Cotlar, a junior in the Linked Learning program, is new to Mrs. Delk’s class and loves the course.

“Do you like working with the Macs in Mrs. Delk’s class? Why or why not?”

“Yes. I really do like working with the Macs because it offers more programs to play around with to make my videos better. It’s easy to use too.”

“Was it hard using the Macs at first?”

“Not really. I have a Macintosh at home so I’m already used to the different keys like the “command key”. I know some people who did have a hard time adjusting since the students here are so used to their laptops.”

“What programs do you use with the Macintoshes?”

“Right now we usually use Adobe Premier Pro, Photoshop and other special effects programs. These all contribute to our videos since there’s so much you can do.”

“Are there any other benefits to using the Macs?”

“Macs have bigger screens and better quality when it comes to viewing videos. They have a lot more programs people can use and its very up to date.”

“Do you think Westside should allow more students to use Macs that don’t take courses that use them? Why or why not?”

“Yes I do because the world around us is getting bigger and very ‘high-tech’. People should know how to use a Mac, because its pretty simple and I’m pretty sure a lot of jobs require you to know some sort of technology since everything is more modern. People use tablets or other devices to get their news or  read books nowadays.”

Jeremiah Green, a junior who is also in the Linked Learning Program and a musician in the Westside Marching Band, is also one of Mrs. Delk’s new students.

“Yes. I like working with the Macintoshes because it’s different compared to the PCs and the laptops we use. I feel like I am learning more about technology.

“Was it hard using the Macs at first?”

“Yes. It was my first time using a Mac before and the controls looked different. There wasn’t a “Shift” key and there were a lot more buttons I wasn’t used to. It helped when Mrs. Delk gave us a little sheet about the Mac keyboard and the shortcuts there were.”

“We use Adobe Premier Pro a lot for video editing. We started touching on Photoshop and other special effects programs. They are pretty fun to play around since you never know what the outcome can be.”

“The Macintosh software is very new and fast. There are still a lot of programs that we’ve yet to uncover so I’m pretty excited about that as well.”

“Absolutely. Students should have access to Macs because they will learn more technology that is being used today.  I feel like people can release their creativity and make videos or digital designs that can really change technology for the future.”

Mrs. Delk’s dashboard for her students to do once they enter the classroom to get ready to go.

The Audio/Video Production course is offered to juniors and seniors who are interested in making films that can range from creating documentaries to music videos. Juliana and Jeremiah both enjoy the class and highly recommend it. Macs are used in many offices and require the right people who know how to use the software. Technology continues to advance everyday and sometimes it is hard to keep up. The fact that Westside High School provides these Macintoshes for students to use shows that Westside can keep up with technology and is not left behind in the Dark Ages.