• May 1All 9-11 grade students can begin picking up their yearbooks on Tuesday, May 8th at A lunch

• April 11It's finally spring, get outside and enjoy the sun

• April 11Seniors will get their Yearbooks on Monday, May 7th.

Filed under News, Showcase

Is Social Media Credible?

In the 21st century approximately 67 percent of Americans get important information,whether its breaking news or just the weather from social media outlets. The most used social media apps are Snap Chat, Twitter and YouTube. People think that social is an effective and an easier way of getting information about our community and the world, because its something we go on everyday. Social media is also easier to get on and is more convenient than watching the news. The news only comes on during specific times of  the day. While social media like Twitter and Instagram are there all day everyday and its as easy as just clicking on the app and either searching for a hashtag or just scrolling through your feed. Just like how most people followed the presidential campaign on Twitter than actually watching it on major news channels. Terry Dolo a junior here at Westside high school believes ” Social Media Outlets are better since they show more prescriptive on a issue , people can comment and put there input on the news rather than just seeing it and not being able to let people know what they think.” , but how do we know if they’re credible?

Using social media as a news source also affects students academics. While doing research for an essay or projects, using social media is not very reliable. Unless the person posting it uses a credible news source and links the article or video.  Sometimes the caption can be misleading to what the news source is actually trying to say. There is no way that social media outlets could make sure every post ad tweet is a truthful and credible, since people are always going to post what they want to. The bottom line is yes, social media is convenient and is easier to view but when it comes to the information being accurate and credible it is not a good source to go to when looking for a source with very accurate information.