• October 11Softball COLOR RUN! is October 21st, in the AM. Register today

• October 11Underclass Picture Days will be October 16 - 17. for all 9-11 students

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Girls as Boy Scouts

The Boy scouts of American organization has recently decided that they were going to start including girls. The 107 year old organization announced on the October 12 that they were going start allowing girls to become cub scouts and older girl to award there prestigious Eagle Award. The Boy Scout Council says, “Many families have asked for this change and now we are happy to include everyone in this organization”

As a fellow Girl Scout and a National Girl Scout Delegate I don’t oppose of girl becoming boy scouts. I just feel that if a girl decided that she wants to become a boy scout she should also be a girl scout as well. Recently, a couple of days right before the boys scout made the announcement, Girls Scouts host there semi annual convention were they discuss problems in the organization. One of the main problems is making sure that girls in grades 6-12 stay in girl scouts til they graduate and keeping their attention within the program. Most girl today don’t really know there good things that comes out of girl scouts. Not only does it look good on your college application, but it sets you a apart from other people. Since I became a Girl Scout in 2007, my mother has always said, “Stick with girl scouts and earn your Gold Award.” Now that I am a junior in high school one of my main goals is is earn my Gold Award. Its a lot of work because it all girl lead, but it will all pay off in the end.

Many people don’t know all the great things that can come out of Girl Scouts. If it was possible I think that all girls should join become girl scouts. Through out my time of being a Girl Scout I have learned so many things. Depending on the different types of activities you choose to do, you can learn  real life experiences that benefit you in the future. I have learned about marketing, financial literacy, first aid and I am CPR certified plus I have meet my closest friends. Girl Scouts has also struck my interest in STEM careers and now I would like to peruse a career as a geoscientist or an engineer.

Girl Scouts has and is impacting my life in every way possible. I continuously learn and work with past experiences to expand my knowledge into other areas of my work. If you are looking for reasons for your girl to join Girl Scouts, stop looking for the reasons. Find an active troop and sign up. The more adventurous the parents and girls are, the more you will end up learning.