• February 5Congrats to the Eagles for winning the Superbowl on Sunday! 41-33

• February 3The voting for Senior Superlatives will begin on Monday, 2.5 Get a ballot from your english teacher, or in E244

Filed under Opinion

No More Guns

The fact that a gunman killed almost 30 people at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, is no longer breaking news, it’s more of a common occurance. Scaring many people, and bringing the gun control debate back to the front of the table. However, President Trump quickly denied it claiming, “There would have been no difference three days ago, and you might not have had that very brave person who happened to have a gun or a rifle in his truck go out and shoot him, and hit him and neutralize him. If he didn’t have a gun, instead of having 26 dead, you would have had hundreds more dead. So that’s the way I feel about it. Not going to help.”

Trump has a good point on how it wouldn’t have changed much, but I do believe the idea of increased gun control needs to happen. More and more, you hear on the news about a shooting that has happened somewhere. Mass shootings like at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas, the baggage claim area of Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina, the University of California campus, and more and more and more.

Even though people have the right to own guns, there are many problems with the law that is supposed to enforce it. Even though it allows people the right to self-defense, it denies people a sense of safety. Barely, the guns owned by people are even used in self-defense. Even then, guns owned by people with a license get stolen. On average, there are about 12,000 gun homicides a year. Just this year, there have been 12,307 deaths due to guns. By having more gun control laws, it would reduce the number of gun deaths in the United States. Either way, there needs to be more laws enforcing guns, or Congress needs to have stricter background checks for purchasing firearms. Gun violence is a growing issue that needs to be solved.