• December 5December has officially started! Go check out Lights in the Heights, Santa's Wonderland, and many other holiday festivities!

• December 5Finals are just around the corner, so be sure to start studying as soon as possible!

• December 5The Winter Choir Concert will be taking place on December 11th in the Westside auditorium! You don't want to miss out!

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• September 12Yearbooks are still on sale! Click on the flyer just below.

Just For Girls — What is it?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Just For Girls — What is it?

Kiara Guyton, Writer

At this day in age, girls are constantly enforced to abide to the societal image of how a girl should look or act. Teenage girls often compare themselves to what is praised upon on social medias or what the majority believe is the “perfect” image. Seven in ten girls believe they are not good enough or do not measure up in some way, including their looks, performance in school and relationships with family and friends. One in four girls today fall into clinical diagnosis – depression, eating disorders, cutting, and other emotional disorders. On top of these, many more report being constantly anxious or sleep deprived due to the significant amount of pressure. These statistics aren’t getting better, so how do we minimize the pressure and the false idea of having to reach this so-called image of perfectionism?

Westside’s very own Ms.Lumpkin takes the initiative and reaches out to teen girls through the “Just For Girls” club. We have all seen the TV slide but fail to understand what this club is truly about. This club allows girls to get together to discuss a variety of topics in a unique way. For instance, during one meeting, Ms.Lumpkin had the girls pick up mirrors and posed the question, “what are you reflecting?”. In this discussion, girls listed out physical attributes ranging from a small blemish to commenting on their looks. This discussion then led to whether or not how they view themselves shows congruency to how others view them. The goal of this activity was to emphasize the fact that many girls view themselves in a negative light when that shouldn’t be the case.

I was given the chance to interview Ms.Lumpkin. After asking her why she created this club, she answered by stating how she “always saw girls now being connected. [She] constantly heard girls talk about ‘I don’t like her’ or ‘she doesn’t like me.’” This club allows girls from different “cliques” to come together and share similarities rather than discriminating each other based on the so-called differences.

Ms.Lumpkin, sponsor of Just For Girls

This club is a great opportunity for girls at this age so definitely stop by Ms.Lumpkin room in N144!

“Just Be” – Ms.Lumpkin

Kiara Guyton, Writer

Kiara Guyton is a senior and this is her second year on Newspaper as a writer. She is the senior class president and one of the captains of Westside's...