• October 17Make sure to grab a Homecoming contract from the Welcome Desk! You can't go without a signed contract.

• October 17Wear your Astros gear tomorrow in support of our team!

• October 17A cold front has blown in bringing temperatures in the 50s. Brrr!

• October 3FAFSA applications are open NOW, so be sure to get your application submitted as soon as possible!

• October 3Underclassmen, the PSAT is right around the corner. Oct. 24th so start studying now!

Filed under Showcase, Sports

The Girls in Motion

What is a Color Guard and What do they do?

Ms.Roberts

Ms.Roberts

Color guard, sometime called flag spinning interprets the music that the marching band is playing. The color guards are the visual of the band , and they use  flags, rifles, along with dance, to enhance the music of the marching band.

Here at Westside high school , along side th

e band there’s the color guard team ready to cheer on our football team during the Friday night games. Some color guards will march and twirl an item, such as a rifle, while others may perform dances or gymnastic moves. When its not football season they participate in the winter guard competitions. Winter guard is a sport derived from Military ceremonies . Unlike traditional color guard, Winter Guard is performed indoors and is a competition between different high schools in each state. The marching band is not presenting during

the winter guard, just the amazing color guards showing their dance skills.

During practice they rehearsal  their routine they will preform during the games and learn different techniques. Casey, Biswell, a freshman biology teacher , is also the color guard director here at Westside High school . Margret Obi , a junior stated “I decided to join color guard because I wanted to be more involved in school and try something new.” Katrina P, a junior also stated” I feel nervous but empowered and excited while being on the field.”

Sosina Feleke, Writer

Hello, I’m Sosina Feleke, I’m a junior here at  Westside High School and this is my first year as a writer for Howler News. I’m also part of the I Howl team, WEGA, and five other clubs. I also enjoy playing tennis in my free time. After high school, I plan to major in Biomedical Engineering.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Girls in Motion”

1. Hena Hamzic on January 19th, 2018 1:22 pm

It was nice to see an article written about our somewhat “underrated” team, but most of the information given is incredibly inaccurate and doesn’t fairly represent us. For example, “sometimes called flag spinning” color guard is not referred to in that way because it is much more than merely flag spinning. Another instance, “Some color guards will march and twirl an item, such as a rifle, while others may perform dances or gymnastic moves.” every color guard marches, dances and only some do gymnastics stunts like WGI or drum corps (professional color guards), also, using the term “twirling” is considered offensive as twirling is done with one hand, spinning a rifle or a flag requires strength from your entire arm as you spin an 8 minute show with 3 pound flags.

• The Girls in Motion

Remembering Regan Moger

• The Girls in Motion

Athlete tutorials, part 1

• The Girls in Motion

Student Life

FAFSA- financial aid for college

• The Girls in Motion

Student Life

One lunch

• The Girls in Motion

Student Life

The stress of being a high school junior

• The Girls in Motion

Arts & Entertainment

Concerts To End Homelessness

• The Girls in Motion

Student Life

Ecological project in the works

• The Girls in Motion

HISD School Times

• The Girls in Motion

Senior 411

• The Girls in Motion

Staff Picks

Staff Pick: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Girls in Motion