• September 12Looking for a good book to read? So are we, send us your suggestions on the Howler News twitter @WHSHowlernews

• September 12The Astros are still the best. and the Texans are still terrible.

• September 12Senior Super Saturday for Senior Portraits is October 13th. That's for you...Seniors! Click on the flyer just below

Filed under Student Life

New to Westside High School ? Need to know

Being new to a new place anywhere can be the most terrifying thing ever. Many freshmen know the feeling but as well as many students that are new incoming to Westside High.

Like many new students, Fatima is currently a junior at Westside High School, who just moved to HISD from a total different district. For all her life, since intermediate, she has been attending Alief ISD , up until now when her parents decided to move their residing. Although, she does confess that it’s been exciting trying to get used to a new environment and meeting new people however , she also claims it has been a strenuous experience fitting in the school so far.

“I honestly couldn’t ever imagine leaving my elementary friends behind, especially being a junior, but it’s always fun connecting with new people at times. I mean, it’s definitely hard trying to fit in being a new kid in town. Especially because my old school is so much different from this school. Regardless,I’ve managed to get around the school and try my best to assimilate. I mean you know, it’s pretty cool and I’m kind of at ease getting to the second week of school.”

Fatima also states that even though the school she attended before  (Elsik High School) is very distinct in comparison to Westside, one can always find ways around being uncomfortable being the new kid in school.

“Honestly, yeah when you first start it’s kind of hard, coming from personal experience, I couldn’t even get to half of my classes, because the school is so compact and the halls are extremely crowded unlike Elsik. But the staff is very nice, always directed me to the right halls etc. Plus you’ll soon find out it probably isn’t only your first time. There are many others feeling the same way, going through the same thing and struggling just the way you are; which in a weird way makes you less nervous because its like you’re not even alone.”

If you’re new to Westside High School, then you understand Fatima’s story and are able to relate. she realizes there are many in the same state as her so she hopes by reading her story , they are aware that Westside is a friendly welcoming school for new faces. and although you may not have yet become comfortable, eventually you’ll be right on track.