• October 11Softball COLOR RUN! is October 21st, in the AM. Register today

• October 11Underclass Picture Days will be October 16 - 17. for all 9-11 students

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Is WHS overrated?

Is Westside underrated or overrated?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

I don’t know. If I’m being honest, I don’t think my opinion would be substantial enough for accuracy. I’ve been a wolf for four years and I am anxious to no longer be a wolf. It’s not because I had a horrible experience at Westside or because I am still bitter about having to purchase $100 worth of Westside Wear my senior year, which I am. I suffer from senioritis. It is February and our final ranks have just come out, I’ve committed to a University, and I’m finding it harder and harder to wake up at the crack of dawn as my time here increases. Don’t give me wrong, I’ve spent my fair share of my time here complaining about not getting presidents day off, battling floods on my way to school, and late start being melted away like a popsicle on a hot summer day (or winter, we live in Texas). However, I cant help but feel an overwhelming surge of indifference. I’m growing up and soon enough this school wont be relevant to my life. This might sound harsh, but its true.

I asked some other students there opinion on this school because unfortunately I don’t have much to offer:

Kamilla GenaKhunova (12th), says “I like this school. There are lots of different people. I’ve met a lot of people from different countries and I’ve learned a lot from them.” She appreciates the diversity at Westside. This is often times overlooked by students at WHS. We are fortunate enough to go to school with people of various nationalities and races. Houston in itself is a very diverse city, but not every school represents that. Westside, along with HISD in general, is a very diverse bunch and we like it that way.

Kayla Omukawila (11th), says “It’s eh. It’s not the best but its not the worst. I enjoy the privileges we have like the laptops…” but “the atmosphere here is kind of closed off.” Following this, I asked her to clarify, to which she responded. “People are all into their own groups.”

“Clique-ey?” I asked.

“Yeah.” She wishes that the culture here was more united whereas currently, everybody has their own friend group. This is natural in a high school setting but it can be discouraging when you want to make new friends.

I agree with her about Power Ups. We are very fortunate to be a technologically integrated campus. This comes with a lot of benefits. My personal favorite is not having to handle five or six textbooks at a time.

Weston MacLeod (10th): “I’d rather go here than any other school probably but that’s just because I dislike other schools way more.” This is a fair assessment. Westside may not be horrible, but Weston thinks it’s not out outstanding either.

So, IS WHS overrated?

I think it depends who you ask. When you first come to Westside, its exciting. Your first year in high school can be scary but its new and you get to experience new freedoms. I have had amazing experiences in high school and not so amazing experiences. Regardless, all I see from the point forward is graduation, and later, college. Everyone experiences this.