• December 5December has officially started! Go check out Lights in the Heights, Santa's Wonderland, and many other holiday festivities!

• December 5Finals are just around the corner, so be sure to start studying as soon as possible!

• December 5The Winter Choir Concert will be taking place on December 11th in the Westside auditorium! You don't want to miss out!

• October 24Check T.V. slides for upcoming pep rally dates!

• September 12Yearbooks are still on sale! Click on the flyer just below.

Thinking about purchasing a camera?

You might be venturing into artistry, such as photography. Or maybe you just want to document some special memories. Either way, here's a rundown on a few options you have and some recommendations.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thinking about purchasing a camera?

a For the Photographers

I have no experience in photography myself, but I talked with someone who has been involved with the craft for years and has been interested in it since she was a child . Marykate Stallings, WHS graduate and photographer  (can be found as mkstall.photo or MKStallings Photography on Instagram and Facebook)  has an extensive resume from publications, awards, certified photoshop expert, and the publisher for an international photography magazine; her camera of choice is the Nikon D7100. Any Nikon camera can be altered or enhanced with exchanging the lenses; the camera is versatile to say the least. The camera is bundled with a 24MP sensor, easy handling, and excellent noise performance. The camera is quite an investment, so it is only a purchase for those who are serious about photography. If you’re simply experimenting, any camera will do until you decide that photography is something you want to pursue.

For the Instagram Connoisseurs

For most, a smart phone does the job. However, the type of smart phone you have consequentially determines what kind of camera quality you have. In my personal experience, unfortunately, android phones have a tendency to produce gritty pictures that don’t look so aesthetically pleasing. I recommend either the Google Pixel or an Iphone. The Google Pixel, though you might not have heard a lot about it, is being talked about by a lot of camera enthusiasts on the internet lately and was rated 9/10 stars by Tom’s Guide. The phone has  excellent High Dynamic Range (or HDR): this means that the phone’s camera has the capability to utilize multiple exposures, merging them, and resulting in a more appealing picture.

If you’re going to use an Iphone I recommend using an Iphone as close in age to the newest one on the market (currently the iphone 7). This can be an expensive habit, however, in my experience the longer you have your Iphone, the lesser the camera quality becomes. It starts to produce duller pictures with significantly less definition. Also, you should consider purchasing an attachable camera lens. It works just how it sounds: it is an attachable camera lens that improves the quality without having to opt for a new phone.

For the Film Makers

According to Miguel Andrade (12th), a student here who is very active in the film Club here at WHS, SWAMP, in order to make a good film “the camera is not what matters most but also sound, composition, and lighting”,  and most importantly, “story is king”. However, his camera of preference is the “Canon Rebel series”. If you’re working in film, you need a camera with an easy grip for picture stability: the Canon Rebel series excels in this with a large gripping handle.

For the Family Cameramen

The Sony Alpha a6000 is ideal for those who want to capture memories of their family, friends, and memories as they are on the go. It has video and picture capabilities so you will be able to snap and film memories everywhere you go. It’s small and light so you can put it in your purse or pocket. This camera offers practicality but you don’t have to sacrifice HD quality.

Elizabeth George, Writer

Elizabeth is a senior at WHS and is also the Vice President of Theatre Productions. She enjoys writing, performing, and spending time with her friends...