• February 5Congrats to the Eagles for winning the Superbowl on Sunday! 41-33

• February 3The voting for Senior Superlatives will begin on Monday, 2.5 Get a ballot from your english teacher, or in E244

Spring Final Exam Exemptions

Kiara Guyton, Writer

We are quickly approaching the end of the fall semester, and as much as everyone would love to look forward to it, we are all dreading the notorious finals week. But are these the finals that the students are really anxious about?

All students are required to take their fall semester exams, but every student looked forward to the fact that they may earn exemptions from their Spring Final Exams if they qualify by meeting the criteria, such as obtaining at least a grade average of an 85. An 85 average is definitely doable.

However, in the beginning of the school year, the senior class was given the bad news that there have been changes made to the final exemption criteria. It was announced that the minimum grade average of an 85 is now changed to a 90 average. Do those 5 points really make a difference? Alexandria “Allie” Owens (12th) seems to think so. “I understand that it is a privilege that it’s hard to earn. However, I don’t think it is an accurate representation of us mastering a subject by only accepting A’s,” she states. “As a senior, last minute changes only increase our stressful plates.” Asking around our student body, many seemed to agree. Makaila Jackson (12th) also voiced her opinion: “It’s enough that I’m taking 3 AP classes, extracurricular activities, homework, and a part time job to help pay for college. And nowimg_6499 to top it off, I have to make a 90 in order to exempt from a final I know I’m not going to do well on.” Evidently, having to strive for an A definitely increases the stress level, especially in AP and Honors classes.

As many are angry at Westside for this change, they truly aren’t the ones at fault. The Houston Independent School District believed this change was necessary to enhance school performance, thus all schools in HISD are having to adapt to this change. Dean Pliskin was kind enough to state that “if you are interested in seeing it revert back, have your parents contact the district office and school board representative.” The only thing we, as students, are able to do is get those A’s and not have an exceeding number of absences.