Wolf to Watch – Yoshiki Zaitsu

Kiara Guyton, Writer

“Who is that?” “How is he so good?” At our latest pep rallies, these questions are asked amongst the crowd whenever Yoshiki Zaitsu (10th) of Inertia Dance Company steps on the floor to perform. His unique, intricate style of dance leaves the crowd in awe during every performance, but where did this phenomenal dancer come from?

Yoshiki Zaitsu is a not only new to Westside, but also to the states. He originally grew up in Tokyo, Japan then moved to Houston. Out of all the schools in Houston, Westside was lucky enough to welcome him as a wolf. However, his choice to come here wasn’t only based on luck. After months of researching all the schools, he knew that Westside was the right choice. During his researching process, he came to be aware of all of the programs Westside had to offer. “The Magnet Program really impressed my parents,” he explained. “I didn’t know that a high school can offer the programs that Westside does. I first came to the school wanting to do engineering, but I am currently in graphic design and I love it!”

The Magnet Program most definitely narrowed down his choice to Westside, but his decision maker was Westside’s very own, Inertia Dance Company. Yoshiki has grown up loving to dance and has been dancing for over 10 years. He was worried that his dance career would come to an end when he moved to America, but after hearing about Inertia, he knew that he had to come to Westside. He expressed how “Westside became my number one choice after looking at videos of Inertia. I decided to try out for the team, so Inertia for sure played a big role in my decision making.” Currently in Inertia, Yoshiki is able to bring his flare to the team. It is his first year on team, but that didn’t stop him from making his mark. One of the combinations that Inertia uses is already named after him—the “Yoshiki combination.”

Transferring from Japan was not easy for him, and it still isn’t. Because he is still learning English, he explained how classes are really difficult. “It’s for sure difficult to take classes that are all in English, but I am slowly getting used to it,” he said. Students complain about the work already; imagine taking classes where you’re having a difficult time understanding the directions and the subject.

No matter how difficult it is for him right now, Yoshiki loves everything Westside has to offer. It is truly an honor for Westside to be able to call Yoshiki Zaitsu a fellow wolf!