“New To Blue”

Welcome back to Westside! 2016-2017 is a new year for many students, but also for many of our teachers! Last year Ms. Gamez was substitute to many teachers who left for a multitude of reasons. She filled in for different subjects, now that she is here to stay permanently, she teaches English 1 and Reading 1 to ESL students. When she first started working here, she said it was a lot of fun. It was something different for her, she was brand new to it all, the crowded halls and rowdy classrooms. She never had a class to call her own and she had to conform to the way the other teachers were teaching their students because by the time they left, their students had already gained an expectation of what their teachers should be like.

“You have to learn with your students.” -Ms. Gamez

Now that she has her own class, she’s enjoying the stability and not having to worry about whether or not she is going to have to pack up her things and move to another class or wondering if she is going to stay in that class for the rest of the year. She loves her students and their will to learn. She had a good first week full of multiple procedures, getting to know her students, and letting her students know that her classroom is their safe haven. Now that Ms. Gamez is here permanently, welcome to Westside!