• May 10The only breaking news that matters: Graduation is upon us!

Madison Rice

Madison Rice, Writer

Madison Rice is a senior at Westside High School, she has been writing for Howler News for three years.

All content by Madison Rice
Walking with Fire: A Brief Tribute to Twin Peaks

Madison Rice, Editor March 2, 2018

A mysterious death in a small town is a plot that could not go wrong in terms of film and shows. In the case of Twin Peaks, the previous claim is both correct and incorrect. Twin Peaks proved to be a cult...

A Social Media Sabbatical

A Social Media Sabbatical

Madison Rice, Writer February 3, 2018

A revolution has occurred in our generation; one that is so expansive it is unfathomable. This revolution is taking place in the current moment, behind seemingly harmless screens of all different sizes...

The Domination of Subliminal Advertising

Madison Rice, Editor December 15, 2017

Popular corporations are out to get consumers in a way that they aren’t even aware of: through subliminal advertising. Those pesky jingles, abrasive fonts, celebrity-endorsements, and brash colors...

Beauty Standards Tell Women They Arent Good Enough

Beauty Standards Tell Women They Aren’t Good Enough

Madison Rice, Writer November 14, 2017

Airbrushed women are everywhere. They stand proudly on billboards in Times Square and sit pompously in ads in the local newspaper. You go down the makeup aisle at the pharmacy and an impossibly flawless...

High School Steroid Pressure

High School Steroid Pressure

Madison Rice, Writer November 6, 2017

High school sports are often viewed as a release from academic pressure; an efficient way for students to learn team building while obtaining a sufficient amount of daily exercise. In several high school...

The morning of August 30, 2017, in the Galleria area of Houston, after Hurricane Harvey flooded the neighborhood.

Harvey arises question of climate change

Madison Rice, Editor October 2, 2017

The recent occurrences of back-to-back global natural disasters spanning from the Americas all the way to South Asia with great haste poses one seemingly unanswerable question: what exactly is happening...

Sugarland Law Bans Handheld Devices While Driving

Madison Rice, Writer April 3, 2017

In Sugarland, TX, a law banning the use of handheld devices while driving was recently implemented. The law was set in place March 20th and affects anyone who operates a vehicle in Sugarland. This law...

Staff Picks: Black Mirror

Madison Rice, Writer February 20, 2017

Upon scrolling through Netflix on a rather dull day during Winter break, I came across a show that appeared to be a futuristic, dystopian sci-fi entitled Black Mirror. The show centers primarily around...

The  College Cafe

The College Cafe

Madison Rice, Writer January 22, 2017

The Cafe College in Houston, Texas is a free service offered to Houstonians who aspire to apply and ultimately get accepted into university. The Cafe helps students to find a career, apply to colleges,...

Westside Uniform Leniency

Westside Uniform Leniency

Madison Rice, Author January 13, 2017

Since Westside has imposed a fairly strict dress code on its students, there have been fields of black, blue, and gray in halls and classrooms. These fields of Westside colors have replaced the...

Sexual Harassment: It Could Happen to Anyone

Ruth Ferron and Madison Rice October 31, 2016

A first job should be a light, easy-going experience. Something for teenagers to gain a better understanding of how the workplace functions as well as how to budget and follow orders. However, there is...

Kim Kardashians Parisian Robbery: True Occurrence or Complete Hoax?

Kim Kardashian’s Parisian Robbery: True Occurrence or Complete Hoax?

Madison Rice, Writer October 28, 2016

Forget the historic presidential debate occurring, the obvious queen of current events is Kim Kardashian. Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint in her luxurious Paris hotel building on October 3rd, 2016....

Staff Pick: The X-Files

Staff Pick: The X-Files

Madison Rice, Writer September 27, 2016

Upon recommendation by a friend, I began to watch an older show entitled “The X-Files”. The show itself ran from 1993-2001, has had two feature films, and possesses a cult following of many fans. Most...

What is Yellow Journalism?

What is Yellow Journalism?

Madison Rice, Writer September 23, 2016
The worst part about yellow journalism, however, is not that it starts wars, ruins reputations, and misleads people, but that it works. Unfortunately, people will believe that Hillary Clinton has somehow had an alien baby and kept it secret from the public.
Jim Zhang and Alyssa Rodriguez give their opinions on the film Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad Review

Madison Rice, Writer September 2, 2016

On August 5th, 2016, crowds eagerly flooded into the movie theaters in order to view the highly anticipated superhero (or, in this case, supervillain) film entitled “Suicide Squad”. These large crowds...

Load More Stories

Comments (2)

All Howler News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest