First Year vs. Seniority

Ms. Anderson and Mr. Siegmund find rare time at their desks

For my final exam project, I chose to interview two teachers, and get their perspectives on teaching here at Westside High School.  And what we have is a little Battle of He said: She said

My two interviewees:

• Mr. Siegmound:  He is a first time teacher.  You would know him by his salty hair, Steve Erkel glasses, his laid back personality, and his ability to dance while teaching English to juniors.
  • Ms Anderson:  She is a teacher with seniority.  She is a great math teacher, with a high pitched voice.  Kind and nice, and very respectful of her students

I put together some questions, that are of interest to me, and since these are two teachers that I find easy to talk to, I decided to make them the subjects for my final project in Journalism.

Here we go.

Ebony:  What’s your thought on Laptops?

Mr. Siegmond:  I like laptops but don’t like the fact that everything is required online. But the board doesn’t understand students use data at home with those without Wi-Fi. It would be nice if there was a Wi-Fi café. I see a lot of kids after school, and I feel in my heart some of those are students without Wi-Fi at home which is why they stay after school.

Ms Anderson: I feel like they’re going to break, and what are we gonna do when all of them break. The quality. What’s gonna happen in 3 years, are we gonna get new laptops, where are we gonna get the money. I’m old school pen and paper. And some of them are becoming more a distraction then help. Hard to control what they do, and to get them off the laptops.

Ebony:  What are your thoughts on Westside offering a class about Life?

Mr. Siegmund: I feel that if someone is willing to teach students on how to pay bills and balance checks, and the students are willing to learn. Then yes we definitely need this, because we send students out with knowing how to do essays and stuff but not how to live in life on a budget and stuff.

Ms Anderson: We need a class on credit cards, house payment, how to buy a house, car, apply for job, all those things. I also think they should have not just students that want to go college, but also hairstyling and such. I agree. Also classes on how to be an electrician.

Ebony:  What would you be, if you weren’t a Teacher:

Mr. Siegmund: I would probably be a journalist or freelance writer. Everything I want has to do with teaching, I can’t think of not being teacher. Maybe, I would be a critic, that would be rad.

Ms Anderson: I would be become a flight attendant or newscaster.

Ebony:  Their thoughts on Uniforms:

Mr. Siegmund: I don’t like uniforms as an adult or as a student, does nothing to show how students feel about school or academic performance.  It (Uniforms) doesn’t force capability. Different situations depend on different outcomes, and a uniform can’t fix that.

Ms Anderson: I am neutral, thing about it when they were discussing it, the majority of the students follow it, but that 2% that don’t and the good students got punished. They allowed the students input which was good. I don’t like the khaki, I think we should have the ability to wear jeans instead. The prices are good. The skirts, “what were they thinking,” the skirts are just as short as the girls skirts.

Ebony:  What do you like about Westside:

Mr. Siegmund: It is a pretty fun and diverse body, which I like. It is big school.

Ms Anderson: I love how Westside offers so many activities (Opportunities), such as culinary.

There you have it, the thoughts of two of my favorite teachers.  Hope you learned a little something you didn’t know about each of them.  Thanks for reading…this is Ebony B, signing off for summer!  Whoop!