• May 9The 2017 Senior Edition of the Howler News is OUT! Get it while you can.

• May 9Update - Laptop check in begins Wednesday, May 17th for seniors

• March 29The 2017 Canidae Yearbook is SOLD OUT. Thanks wolves!

Filed under Opinion

The Hoodie and I

School policy changes were the buzz for weeks at the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year. Many changes including schedule changes, attendance policies but by far the most impacting was the new school dress code. Many were uncertain as to whether or not this was a good change and whether or not this new rule would elicit a negative attitude amongst the student body and their parents.

I personally was never one for rules and now a senior I ascertain that this new year, at the top of the student food chain, provided me with an even less caring attitude and regard for rules. Westside was in for a rude awakening. With Space Jam hoodie and Suede Black Pineapple hat ready and armed I approach every day with a blatant disregard for the “helpful new policies”.

In retrospect I realize many faculty members often felt disrespected which was never truly my intent. I simply had such a care-free attitude I came of as a rebel who lived to make teachers and administrators lives a living hell. I survived through 6 or seven classes every day for two entire semesters with only few times being address for “improper attire”. “Rules just aren’t my forte” I informed one of my teachers when asked why I act without precaution for my reputation.

But that’s old news. I’m on to higher goals and with new aspirations. I’ll maintain my foot down personal policy as will my proclamations of expression remain on my head and chest. If I asked my hoodie and hat what they think I believe they’d make one strong argument. They’d reason that they we’re brought into existence with one purpose and one purpose alone… TO BE WORN. Who am I to question that and who is anyone else to as well? All the bickering all the arguments. With one stoke of a pen we could prevent these volatile situations by changing the totalitarian policies that guide our school lives like a conductor to an orchestra. Wherever I end up I know one thing. I will always be free.