• May 9The 2017 Senior Edition of the Howler News is OUT! Get it while you can.

• May 9Update - Laptop check in begins Wednesday, May 17th for seniors

• March 29The 2017 Canidae Yearbook is SOLD OUT. Thanks wolves!

Beta-Day

To beta something is to have an introductory version of a program available to the public for testing. Every year, junior and senior digital media students have a day in which they showcase their productions, receive peer-editing, and critique on them. This day is known as Beta-Day, and it occurred on March 24th in the Westside High School library. Their project for this year was to create either a movie trailer or a video game. After a long five weeks of working on their projects, students in Ms. Delk’s advanced audio and video classes showed their products to their peers.

Beta-Day is important because it allows for students who create these projects to receive constructive criticism and make them better. In the words of Sophomore Jolie McAdoo, an AVP student, Beta-Day is “a chance to see your work be put on in front of an audience.” Two winners will be chosen: one for the highest voted movie trailer and another for the video game. These winners will then have the ability to choose whether or not they’d like to move on from the betaing phase into creating a full product.

Students from different classes and grade levels came to offer their constructive criticism to the creators, and choose their favorite game and movie trailer. They were seated at tables in the new section of the library and viewed the different trailers their classmates produced. On the tables were packets, made by the students, which contained background information about the movies and scripts. This helped their viewers gain context, learn more about the movie, and aided them in making their decisions. At the same time, other students went to play video games and choose their favorites. Both sets of students were given ballots to choose their top-ranked trailers and games, and peer review cards on which aspects of the projects they liked and what they believed could be improved.