• May 9The 2017 Senior Edition of the Howler News is OUT! Get it while you can.

• May 9Update - Laptop check in begins Wednesday, May 17th for seniors

• March 29The 2017 Canidae Yearbook is SOLD OUT. Thanks wolves!

Filed under Student Life

Boosting Your Self-Esteem

Mrs. Delk's AVP classes enjoying the disaster drill

Sharon Roberts

Sharon Roberts

How can we build up self-esteem and the feeling of self-worth in today’s society ? It seems like in today’s world everyone is in competition to be perfect and comparing themselves to one another . So what exactly is self-esteem? and how can we make it a positive aspect in people lives?

Self-esteem is how we value ourselves as people but also how other people perceive us. How other people see us definitely plays a big part into it and you start feeling very critical of yourself.  Self esteem can come from physical issues that you don’t like about yourself but also mentally it can be very draining to a person’s heath. It affects personal relationships, daily work, and almost everything in our lives. Everybody is comparing who looks better while putting each other down at the same time.  We should be able to go out and feel confident in ourselves and our personality without the feeling of someone making us feel unworthy .

Sure, We all may have something we don’t like about ourselves that we wish we could change but that shouldn’t define who we are on the inside . There many steps many to improve your self-esteem by positive self-talk, doing things you enjoy , and surrounding yourself with others who are supportive. Their are many clubs and organizations on our campus that anyone can get involved in which they might enjoy to help give them that extra self-confidence boost and not be too hard on themselves. There is the Westside Yoga & Meditation Club which helps students manage ,clear their mind and relax which can be very helpful in improving self-image. It’s completely normal to feel down about ourselves from time to time but when you constantly have those feeling it may be signs of low self-esteem . Many people tend overlook these signs and associate them with having bad days which isn’t the case for some people. If your loved one are experiencing signs of self negative-talk, focusing on the negatives and ignoring your accomplishments, abuse, and even being real self critical of themselves they may have self image issues . You should express to them that you are there to help . If that doesn’t work, They may need to consult a counselor who can try to figure out the root of the problem and how to fix it.

Dealing with self-esteem isn’t easy but it’s all about having a positive outlook on life and knowing what makes you happy not only on the outside but on the inside as well. Don’t strive for perfection but instead focus on what makes you happy.