Trust in the American Media at An All Time Low. Why?

Nicole Saldivia

Unsatisfied viewer of American Media.

Nicole Saldivia, Editor

Nicole Saldivia
Freshman class inside the commons of Westside High School

“No news source is purely unbiased. No matter their ways of funding or ownership, a source of information will always be spinned (presented) in a opinionated manner.”- Noble Dixon (12th)

Trust in the mainstream media is at an all time low, at least according to Gallup Polls, allegedly in part due to the President of the United States and his apprehension regarding most news outlets (2). It’s safe to say that if the leader of the free world is dismissing said news outlets who report on him, many people will believe him and in turn choose not to believe the reporters.

It is the duty of a journalist to tell the truth to the public at all costs. Lately the legitimacy of the American media has been in question and though causes for this distrust may seem obvious, however, it is necessary to reach out to the youth of America for their more commonly dismissed opinions. 

Regarding the stigma surrounding American Media, Freshman Abby Phillips, had this to say: “American News networks are focused on getting the audience’s attention rather than giving out the proper information thus leading to a bias.” Gabriela Santana (10th) said, “I think it’s good that he points out there is a lack of validity in the news, but it is ironic when he makes statements that aren’t even fact checked.”

The conclusion is as it stands, this: There is a lack of trust in the media because the media hasn’t done anything to earn trust. Information is harshly altered in order to benefit individuals rather than present reliable information. The campaign isn’t the reason for this distrust, more a backlash from it.